Thread: Do all 1st gen tubs weigh the same?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The pick up points on the rear trailing arms were moved on the body. 84-85 only. The bracket lowers the frt of the arm approx 1 inch. Wrong direction when lowering the car. The tubs were 2 pieces of sheet metal thick at the rear upper pickups with a brace on the floor in 79-80 chassis. Later chassis are three pieces thick at that point which is why later cars rust out more at the seat belt mounts. Lots of places for moisture to sit. I dont tghink the a pillars were as thick early on either and sunroof frames/brackets are on all chassis after 81 weather it has one or not. Stupid things you learn when stripping cars for the scrap yards.

I'm surprised that Dick has not checked in... I know he chose a 79/80 for a reason on his rotisserie build and based on my conversions with Dick he knows the differences down to a pound or less. The man is a machine when it comes to this stuff!

If you are not on it already rx7club.com is an awesome resource for these cars and has a number of really good guys on it.

I do know that "everyone says" the early cars are lighter, but my knowledge stops there... I do know that I don't like the look of the rear of these cars, but maybe it could grow on me...
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"