Thread: Chevy Uplander Tow Vehicle

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Chevy Uplander Tow Vehicle

For those looking for alternatives for a tow vehicle for a trailer in the 3500 pound range, I think the 07 or 08 3.9 liter uplander is worth a look. I've put about 5000 miles towing my Del Sol and Type R with excellent success. Its quiet, pulls well, handles and stops pretty good, Because the '07 is an extended chassis, it will hold 2 rows of totes stacked 2 wide and 2 tall against the middle row of seats. In the flatlands of the midwest, it gets about 17 mpg at 72 mph for the typical tow. You ought to be able to find an ex rental for about 10k.

Best of all it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when parked on the street and is actually useful for the 9 months that you are not towing.

I guess all '07' 3.9 come with a trans cooler, (something for you to confirm) Here's what I used for converting it for towing.

- Draw tite hitch kit + Light Kit (bought on EBAY)
    - KYB Gasajust shocks KG54325 from shock warehouse http://www.shockwarehouse.com/index....cted_year=2005
    - Firestone Airsprings from truckspring.com (make sure you put the spacers on the bottom, the instructions were wrong on my kit, ask truckspring if questions) http://www.truckspring.com/VSearchRe...&pt=179&fv=584

I've been towing for 10 years and have put about 70,000 tow miles on minivans, this is the best yet. Hope this helps.

bob

...uplander.... your kidding, right? i've had 2 of these as company supplied work vans. they do everything but brake, handle and ride well. i have fought vibration's in both of them. you get 17 mpg's at 72? all of mine have averaged 18 mpg's. yes, they have decent torque. but i have put 70,000 miles on mine in 22 months... my legs are always numb from the drivers seat. i does handle decent and it does have a decent amount of storage.

i personally would not recomend one for a tow vehicle. in fact, they would have made a great clunker turn in!

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

I don't know if your's had an earlier 3.4 vs the 3.9 in my '07. The 3.9 is a all new engine with variable valve timing. I think the only other pushrod engine with variable valve timing is the vette. Unloaded, mine gets about 22 cruising at 70+ while barely breaking 2000 rpm,. I can't explain your experience, perhaps the work vans have nasty shocks, tires, springs or something. Ours has been a very comfortable tow vehicle. Much better than any other I have had.

bob

I've had 2. One when they first came out ('05?) and the last year they made them ('08)... my work vans are the mid package van (LS?)... it has everything but the DVD player, powered rear vents, and actual rims.... although I think they are learning to not give me a van with hubcaps, as I tend to lose them

These vans are a lot of junk, a good example of why Government Motor's went the route they have. However, if you have a good one.. more power too you... I can put you in touch with 10 sales reps (that I know, probably 200 more) that hate them.

hoop
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

We rented an Uplander two different times for road trips that we already had planned, trying to decide if we should buy one of them OR look for another Safari/Astro. First one I got for a trip to Texas only had 47 miles on it when I rented it. Averaged ~70 mph with cruise, and only got 20 mpg. Second one was for a family trip to Nebraska. I did about half the driving, and usually drove about 70-75, almost always with the cruise, and we got ~18 mpg over all.

Since I was already getting about 20 with my old Safari, it was a no-brainer. We found an Astro and I like it much better than the Uplander, even though it had significant miles on it when we bought it.

And I can't imagine pulling a race car and stuff with either the Safari/Astro or an Uplander. We hauled a stripped race car to get painted one time with my Safari, and even Chris had to admit that it was scary.
    Last edited by OTLimit; 10-15-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: add info
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

I don't think their pulling 30000lbs Lesley ......They have no CDL either.....JK!!!!
    I have been using a 93 vw Eurovan with a 2.5L 5 cyll, I love it, on flat ground it will do 85mph with a 3500lb trailer&rabbit.....12mpg@ 75-80, 18-19 @ 60mph.... 150K on the clock,30 A/C vents, Cruise, Automatic(wish it was a 5speed!),
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata