Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AWD in ITR or ITS?

Again, Jake leaps the line!

You OK, dude? Do we need to schedule an intervention or something...?

K

Quote Originally Posted by Knestis View Post
    Again, Jake leaps the line!

You OK, dude? Do we need to schedule an intervention or something...?

K
    Sorry, A bit of RR-AX humor carried over. And a Jersey joke in there too, for a jersey boy.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Not sure - the screaming after the race might alert tech - those Hoboken girls just might have guns too :-)

Andy - I just looked at the updated Sept GCR: looks like there is more room :-)
    Ballast may be used. All ballast shall be located in the front
    passenger footwell/seating area, aft of the firewall and any
    footwell angle, and forward of the aft-edge of the forwardmost
    passenger door opening, unless otherwsie specified on
    the vehicle’s spec line. OEM front passenger seat location
    Last edited by benspeed; 10-15-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

No one has mentioned the AWD tempo V6.....
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    I curious what folks consider silly amounts of ballast - I've just finished adding more weight to my car to offset the lightweight rims - I'm carrying 85 pounds in the footwell. hardly fits!

I have over 250# of lead in my ITB 914. That is beyond silly that is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Yes, but that was just a computer change plus a couple other things that are legal to change in Improved Touring (exhaust, intake routing). Thus, the ITAC will classify it using the lower horsepower rating.

Right...?
    im not sure of the difference between the r32 240 and the TT vr6 250 3.2 it might just be the programming for the brand change VW vs Audi i think its the same drivetrain i dont know enough about the r32 to say for sure

It would have to be different hp rating on the same car for it to be considered at the lower horsepower. Though what you suggest - comparing it to the R32's otherwise-identical horsepower rating as an illustration of what only an IT-allowed mod will produce - certainly brings up interesting points vis-a-vis how to rate the engine's power for IT classification...tent, meet camel...

How about an AWD car that has:
    a curb weight of 3428
    A 3.2L 6 Cyl with 250HP
    17Inch wheels
    13.1" Vent. Front Brakes
    10.4" Vent. Rear Brakes

What else do you need to help decide if it would fit in ITR??
    Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    How about an AWD car that has:
    a curb weight of 3428
    A 3.2L 6 Cyl with 250HP
    17Inch wheels
    13.1" Vent. Front Brakes
    10.4" Vent. Rear Brakes

What else do you need to help decide if it would fit in ITR??
    Stephen
    Well, info about the car that would go on the spec line (like, say, make and model) would be a good start. But it seems like no problem for ITR. Of course, to assign a weight we'll have to come up with a process (adder?) for AWD cars. We have the go-ahead to do that now but it's a required step.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

What kind of tq? How much weight can it lose? And, don't be coy, we all know what car that is. Silly boy, it will be a looong time before that's even on the track, much less at the front of the grid.

(even if we classed it today, but send that request in and get the ball rolling. Why not, you guys love stirring up trouble, LOL))
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Audi TT 3.2?

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

How does that fit in ITR? I thought the S2000 and Rx8 were at the top of the expected HP goals for ITR?
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Marcus,

That was what I was kinda wondering is if a 250 HP car could be classified. Jag X-type may still be my 1st choice but If I am going to spend that much money maybe I should take a little longer and build the Audi... My brother and I also already have ,sitting outback now, the Audi coupe Quattro from 1990 that may fit into ITA??

Jake, Is tourque part of the process?

And yes it is the TT 3.2! I personally can't do this now but I would love to dream... IF I took the next 2 years off from racing I could build it... I would be just as happy doing a few autocrosses and maybe some kart stuff to keep me occupied. The only reason I have been waiting for the past year or so is to see the dust settle...

Stephen

Quote Originally Posted by StephenB View Post
    Marcus,

That was what I was kinda wondering is if a 250 HP car could be classified. Jag X-type may still be my 1st choice but If I am going to spend that much money maybe I should take a little longer and build the Audi... My brother and I also already have ,sitting outback now, the Audi coupe Quattro from 1990 that may fit into ITA??

Stephen
    Yep, I'm with you.. I guess not knowing how AWD fits in the classificaiton matrix/schema (I just can't call it a process), hampers us, but I would believe the weight would have to be extraordinarily high. As Andy told me in one of htese threads recently, ths HP ceiling isn't a ceiling, but a guideline in terms of fitting cars in at appropriateweights for the chassis and class. (paraphrased in my own language)
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

Default Subie

I've been watching IT for a while, thinking about getting back into it since AWD is allowed. I've been very interested in building a Subie 2.5RS for some time as a fun track-day car, why not take it all the way to race prep if it can???

So - where is it going to end up? 2 door and 4 door versions, but I prefer the 2-door.
    Ben
    '91 Spec Miata #66
    '08 BMW M3 - One Lap Of America
    --2010 Luxury Sedan Champs!
    '87 BMW 325 e/is - future Chump car

Follow the fun at:
    Schaut Speed Racing Blog

Wish we could give you an informed estimate re: classing and weight. Three members of the IT Ad Hoc committee (charged with making recommendations to the club racing board about stuff like this) who were among the most active here have left the committee - myself included. A couple still post here so I'll let them chime in.

KK

This one is ready to go, all we need to get the classing complete is a VTS sheet. If you'd be willing to fill one out and submit it quickly, we'll try to get it addressed and listed at our next call (but probably couldn't be published until the April Fastrack in late March). I'm sure it will end up in ITS but I'm not sure of the weight right now.

I personally have taken the action item to try to get that VTS completed but if an interested member would be willing to do it instead, that would be awesome! Please let me know.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    This one is ready to go, all we need to get the classing complete is a VTS sheet. If you'd be willing to fill one out and submit it quickly, we'll try to get it addressed and listed at our next call
    How is that feasible since half the ITAC has resigned, is the ITAC even fully functional at this time?

Not trying to be obtuse but is AWD IT really on the short list? If it is on the short list by some chance, at this point in time, then IT racers should be more concerned than they already are.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 02-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Yes and yes, Ron. But there are 5 ITAC members right now, and there's a pretty long agenda. I'm confident that this has been well-enough vetted to complete.

Really, I'll say it again. Things are nowhere near as broken as the idealigues are making them out to be. There are practical and workable solutions and IT is not going anywhere.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    Things are nowhere near as broken as the idealigues are making them out to be.
    You mean the former ITAC members?

I agree, IT isn't going anywhere different in the short term. But I think the long term rules and class stability is what most folks are worried about.

Time will tell.