Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glove box, In or out???

Default Glove box, In or out???

It says, "all other interior trim pannels may be removed except the dash-board." What if the glove box isn't neccesarily part of the dash board?
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I wouldn't think of a glove box as part of the dashboard...
    Christian in FL | Something white with Honda on the valve cover...
    FASTtech Limited- DL1, Schroth, & Recaro Goodness
    LTB Motorsports- The Cheapest Place for Momo
    TrackSpeed Motorsports- OMP, Racetech, & Driver Gear

Tough call. Just a thought...if you were to order an OE dash, would the glove box come with it? It is a nice place to put the test fuel hose.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

And log book
    Spanky | #73 ITA 1990 Honda Civic WDCR SOLD | #73 ITA 1995 Honda Civic WDCR in progress |
    ** Sponsored by J&L Automotive (703) 327-5239 | Engineered Services, Inc. http://www.EngineeredServices.com **

Isaac Rules | Build Pictures

My glove box actually helps holds my dash in place is the OE mounts were removed in favor of cage upright placement.
    Chris Raffaelli
    NER 24FP

One of our cars has the glove box, the other doesn't. No one's said anything either way.
    Dave Dusterberg
    ITA#9 Dodge Neon
    2011 Indy Region SCCA Activities Director
    http://www.indyscca.org

I like having a glove box! good place to put wrenches if you may be under waight...
    "Nebraska organizing committees
    to race in Iowa & Ne board thing "
    Still working on a name...
    X-MVRG Member...
    ITB Rabbit/ITA Miata

Quote Originally Posted by raffaelli View Post
    My glove box actually helps holds my dash in place is the OE mounts were removed in favor of cage upright placement.
    ditto
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

I think you can take it out. The rules say you can remove all hatches and stuff. (Too lazy to look it up, but it's there.)

The door on mine unscrews easily, so to me this does not seem like part of the dash, but rather a hatch cover. However I would have left it on to hold my logbook and a pen except I realized that it was strangely heavy! The stupid glove box door must weigh a few pounds. Crazy.
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS

I love mine. I'm usually a one man band, so that's where the tire gauge and the fuel test hose and a set up sheet and the shock adjuster knob all live. I think it can go on some cars but on others it might be debatable.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I use the inner shell of my door for that stuff.

so that's where the tire gauge
    Weird how your air gauge reads so differently than everyone elses. Hey, you've had plenty of fun picking on me and my antics.

If you're truly curious if it would be legal or not, I think your answer will be found in the large shop manual you have. Take a look at the diagrams and how they address the dash. I know when I had mine out, I also had the page ear marked that showed the dash illustrations which did not include the glove box. For my present car I just didn't think it was worth it to remove at least right now.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    It says, "all other interior trim pannels may be removed except the dash-board." What if the glove box isn't neccesarily part of the dash board?
    When I built my Z3, I decided that the main glove box is just a panel that happens to have a door in it. It's analogous to the one on the driver's side, except that one has no door. The panels and the glove box itself (which is in fact, the door, it all moves together) can be removed.

Applicable parts catalog diagrams attached. Specifically, I think you need part #1 from the first diagram, but neither panel from the other two diagrams.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Thanks Josh,

That's the part that I have, except for the center vents which I replaced with a guage cluster. My Bud Naji was adamit that I have the glove box too. Thing is about the Z3 glove box they're know for breaking the dash in the street cars because DOT mandated a heavier cover, and with no room under the dash it start bending the plastic, and eventually you get a dash that just decided to open at odd moments. I'f I really want to take and gauges along for a ride I'll racer tape it to the roll bar, along with my snickers bar

(anyone recognise that last reference?)
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I don't get the reference ...

But you can pull the center vents out and mount gauges there:

"Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed. They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash “board” or panel shall remain intact."
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by JoshS View Post
    I don't get the reference ...

But you can pull the center vents out and mount gauges there:

"Gauges and instruments may be added, replaced, or removed. They may be installed in the original instrument(s) location using a mounting plate(s), or any other location using a secure method of attachment. Other than modifications made to mount instruments and provide for roll cage installation, the remainder of the dash “board” or panel shall remain intact."
    It's a reference to Peter Egan's discription of a AH Sprite production race, "You'll need to tape a snickers bar to the roll cage because the race is going to go on forever."
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

When you can find a NOS OEM dash for my cars to buy, you get no glovebox, vents, center contrl panel, etc., etc.

Since the shop manual also provide repair and replace sections for the glovebox and its hardware (rather than simply "R&R Dashboard assembly")...I guess I I like those tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    What exactly constitutes the "dashboard?"

Example, Golf 2 has a kind of lower dash, a kind of knee padding except it's hard plastic. This part is a separate piece attached by screws to the main/upper dashboard. Because I had to remove a section from the sides of the upper dashboard and lower dash for the rollcage installation this lower dash section is just kind of dangling there without a good solid attachment. I don't want to remove any more material or the lower dash in it's entirety until I know if this is considered part of the "dashboard."

Quote Originally Posted by GTIspirit View Post
    What exactly constitutes the "dashboard?"

Example, Golf 2 has a kind of lower dash, a kind of knee padding except it's hard plastic. This part is a separate piece attached by screws to the main/upper dashboard. Because I had to remove a section from the sides of the upper dashboard and lower dash for the rollcage installation this lower dash section is just kind of dangling there without a good solid attachment. I don't want to remove any more material or the lower dash in it's entirety until I know if this is considered part of the "dashboard."
    That padded knee bar was only present in later years of the A2. Earlier years had a trim panel with some integrated cubbies/parcel tray. The knee bar is NOT part of the dash, and is pretty heavy. Take it out.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    That padded knee bar was only present in later years of the A2. Earlier years had a trim panel with some integrated cubbies/parcel tray. The knee bar is NOT part of the dash, and is pretty heavy. Take it out.
    +1 on taking out the knee bolsters. But since the glove box isn't mentioned, unless it falls in the "other panel" language it's got to stay in?? Then the knee bolster which is Josh's second picture has to stay in too, because the allowed mod ( removing the "others" knee bolsters ) is performing a disallowed function ( removing the glove box ?) I guess Josh's and my argument is that in our case the glove box is coverd by the "other panels" called out in the rules.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter