Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking to start racing ITB in 2010 any advice?

Default Looking to start racing ITB in 2010 any advice?

I raced flat chassis go karts in 2008 and 2009. The second race of the season in 2009, I received a concussion from another kart driving over me. I spend about $100 every race for less than 15 min of track time. I'm looking to get into road racing on a budget. ITB is looking like my ideal place in road racing, any one willing to give advice it will be greatly appreciated.

For $1000-1500 a weekend (depending on hotel rooms/incidentals) you should get 1.5hrs of track time doing double sprint races. That is if you want to win. If you want to drive around at the back of the pack, you can do that considerably cheaper

-Tom
    ITA Integra | 05 Mazda3 | 03 Mini
    http://www.tomhoppe.com

buy, don't build. If you look in the classifieds here you can find some pretty good deals. Expect to spend between 3-5k for a mid pack car with or without trailer. Might find some local help if we knew where you were.
    Chris

Unsquishable bug on the way!!!!!

Considerably cheaper....remember, Hoppe has an unlimited budget so he is not a good example Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

I am in CT and looking to buy a car already built. Maybe doing a few track days in 2010. Just get use to a car instead of a kart. Just feel it out and learn is my goal. Were can I find rules for the IT classes?
    Last edited by ridgeracer24; 10-03-2009 at 08:43 PM.

www.scca.com is where you can find the rules.

I'd suggest that you begin doing some HPDEs before buying or building a racecar. Do that then determine if it's your thing. There is absolutely nothing wrong with running towards the back or mid-pack. I've been at all spectrums, and each has their plusses and minuses. The closer you want to get towards the front, the more it's gonna cost ya.

(I run in ITB and am from CT)
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave didn't plug it, but I will. Read Dave's book. It'll save you lots of time and money.
    http://www.GoAheadTakeTheWheel.com
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

the $ per minute won't really be a better deal and you will have more minutes and more $$.

this ad had caught my eye as a fair deal: https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=26594

i always recommend that folks get their feet wet with autocrosses as well. it helps with car control/confidence in a safe environment as well as learning to focus and looking/thinking ahead.

and for transportation of that car, i would be looking to see if anyone has a transporter going to the ARRC from florida and then another transporter from the ARRC to CT.

or others have posted up haulers that move ebay cars, etc.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

There's a bunch of us in CT that drive IT cars and always willing to help out. Buying Dave's book is a MUST. You should have come up to LRP yesterday. Some good racing to see what it's all about.

Feel free to contact me direct with any questions. I'm the "New Driver Rep" for New England region so if you need any help getting through the process.

Good luck, and welcome!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Welcome! ITB is an EXCELLENT place to get started; economical, fun, and friendly!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

First, welcome to the nuthouse!!!

Second, take Jeff's advice and buy Dave's book, it's probably the single best resource for someone starting out that you can get. Certainly the best bang for the buck.

Lots of cool cars out there, and yes, buy over build for your first car. You should find plenty to pick from in the $3k - $6k range.

What type of budget do you have (if you don't mind me asking)? That will help us determine where a suitable place is for you to start. Regardless of what it is, there are ways for you to get involved and start the learning process. When you are ready to buy an IT car, there are plenty of people on this board who can help you find a good car for what you're looking for.

Thanks guys for the book plug. I really need to get my butt in gear with that thing again.
    Dave Gran

First off I just wanted to say thanks guys for being so helpful. We sold Dave's book at my work (On Track Karting) maybe about 3 years ago. I can see if we have any copys left. If not, the first thing I'm going to do is buy it. I haven't set a budget yet but I dont think I can spend more than $3,500 on a car. I would have loved to go to LRP this weekend but had to work. I dont mean to sound stupid but, what are HPDE's? Also, running back to mid-pack was what I was expecting.

I'm running my second season in ITB. I bought a racecar that was already built. The car is probably capable of a top 5 with the right driver but with me right now, I'm running mid pack.

I've made all of the races in the DC region this season (9 weekends). With 1 weekend to go, using the same set of tires all season, I figure it's going to end up costing about $500.00/weekend. Most weekends consist of a 15 minute qualifyer, 10 lap race (about 15 minutes), and a 20 lap race (about 30 minutes).

That's race gas, towing gas, entry fees, 1 set of tires, 2 sets of brake pads, and sleeping in the car trailer on a blow up matress. That's if nothing breaks!!!

Last year I ended up with a $3,000.00 engine bill after the 3rd weekend, so I only ended up making only one more weekend.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

Quote Originally Posted by ridgeracer24 View Post
    First off I just wanted to say thanks guys for being so helpful. We sold Dave's book at my work (On Track Karting) maybe about 3 years ago. I can see if we have any copys left. If not, the first thing I'm going to do is buy it. I haven't set a budget yet but I dont think I can spend more than $3,500 on a car. I would have loved to go to LRP this weekend but had to work. I dont mean to sound stupid but, what are HPDE's? Also, running back to mid-pack was what I was expecting.
    What's your name?

HPDE: High Performance Driver Education

You're right down the street from Kessler Engineering: www.kesslerengineering.com

One of the best IT builder/set-up/prep guys in the country. He's also pretty good at the Miata stuff but we don't hold that against him.........

Send me an e-mail and I'll give you some details on the spend my first few seasons.

jlawton at echn.org
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Beyond being the best, he's rates are quite reasonable, always honest and you don't have to worry about "broken" parts, and other BS one might encounter with other shops.

When do you think you'd be in the market to buy a car?
    Dave Gran

My name is Chris. I would be looking to get a car about mid Feb.

Chris,

Dave's book will provide you w/ lots of good info, read it a couple of times. A couple of thoughts on a car. Given your budget, you should be able to find something serviceable that fits your budget. I would suggest a more 'known' car over something that's a bit obscure. By that, I mean the model of the car, not a specific, individual car. For ITB, there are some good choices that are pretty well known. Any of the eligible VW's are good (hey, I'm a VW guy, that's why I mentioned them first), but for your budget, you're probably looking at an A1 (Rabbit) or A2 (1st gen. Golf) chassis. There are several Honda options as well. Something else you may want to look at is an AW11 (1st gen.) MR2, which was recently moved from ITA to ITB. Not the fastest car out there, but a very fun car to drive, and pretty forgiving. Balance is good, and it's adjustable on all 4 corners.

There are lots of other cars in ITB to choose from, but for someone just getting started, and on a pretty limited budget, I'd suggest something that's a known quantity. There will be plenty of knowledge out there, and a decent source for spares / go-fast stuff.

I sent you a PM (not sure if you got it) about an ITB car that might fit your budget and needs. Rabbit GTI with tons of spares and professionally built. Looking to condense the fleet down into one car (ITB car, ITA car, and 2 other DE cars). Good luck on your search!

look into an accord. They are fast