Thread: 280ZX ITS Competitiveness & Pitfalls

Default 280ZX ITS Competitiveness & Pitfalls

I am new to the IT community and am looking to buy my first race car. A former racer in my area has a 1980 ZX ITS car that has not been raced in 4-6 years. It appears in good condition, has all the proper equipment (cage, fuel cell, etc), a fresh engine and probably does not need that much work to get ready for use (fluids, belts, tires, general checkover).

I don't have any experience with the 240/260/280 Z cars. How are these cars as track cars? How are they to work on and maintain? Are most typical wear items still available? Do they have any known weak areas? Are they relatively competitve? I'm looking for a good car to hone my driving skills and have fun without spending TONS of money or time working on it. Any information is greatly appreciated.

A very good choice to start with I think.

Competitive: make good power, and a 280zx (Charles Perry) almost won the SARRC championship this year.

Easy to work on: have disc brakes in the rear and fuel injection, so less maintenance/fiddly-diddly than a 240/260z.

Where are you located?
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

I am in Metro Detroit. Waterford Hills, Grattan, Gingerman and Mid-Ohio are all within 3 hours from home.

From what I have heard they are good cars...reliable and quick. The BMW may have a step up on it but still..a very good starter car. Good luck with your racing endevors!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I'd say it is significantly better than a starter car. One nearly won the SEDiv ITS championship, one of the 2-3 most competitive in the country, this year.

The E30 probably doesn't make as much power but has better brakes and possibly better suspension. We don't have any more E36s in ITS in the SEDiv after the SIR was applied to them.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

280zx is a great car. I would love to have one, but I have a 260Z. If you can't win with it then it is your driving or the car development - it isn't the car choice as it can get the job done in ITS when fully developed. Have fun with it!

Ron

I have the zx and am quite happy with the car. There are a few things that need to be done, would be glad to go over them with you. Let me know if you are still interested and we will figure out how to get together.
    Charles Perry
    ITS #21 280zx