Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody with Scrap Titled Race Car?

If buying a racecar without a title but with a signed bill of sale, could a previous owner come after you for 'stealing' their car?

Look in the back of your log book. There is a place to transfer ownership if you sell. Unless you go to register it for the street a title is not of much use.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

If a "previous" owner had the car stolen and never made a claim on his insurance, and you "purchased" it from the thief (or anyone else who aquired it from the thief), you have a problem.

Why?

One cannot get good title (i.e., right of ownership; not a DMV document) from or through a thief.

If it was stolen and never recovered , but an insurance claim was made and paid, the insurance company--not the previous owner--can take the car back. Why? Because they purchased it and own it when they paid that theft claim.

That being said, two of my racecars never had good title documentation and I am not worried. Why? There was no thief involved.

Siged BOS says no. Does the BOS say" paid in full?"
    have 2-3 race cars without titles.
    Get a BOS, take a picture of the car with the prior owner.
    Run the Vin # on your state hot sheet for good measure.

I found the title to the old Rocco today. It has been a race car since about 1991. Nice to know that we could put it back on the road. Some day this will be a collector car..
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

My current car never had a title, it was bought and put into service as an SSB car. Another car I have spent a lot of time w/ was sold with specific provisions that it could never be titled (damage on the dealer lot). Doing a car fax on these cars doesn't yield much information, it shows them arriving in either Seattle (or Oregon?). Nothing more.

Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

What ia this "selling" you speak of?
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged

Quote Originally Posted by Wreckerboy View Post
    What ia this "selling" you speak of?
    this right here. run it till it's not worth running then keep on running some more it until you find something else to rag out.

from a buying perspective, I think a signed BOS with cost and a cancelled check + transfered log book will do ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I found the title to the old Rocco today. It has been a race car since about 1991. Nice to know that we could put it back on the road. Some day this will be a collector car..
    Lol. Lol again.

That poor car has been upside down @ every race track on the east coast. Not sure who's collecting stuff like that. Is Timmy's dad's handprint still on the roof from where he stuck it out the window as it was rolling @ the Bus Stop ?

JW
    (bought & sold that Rocco...twice !)