Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: TeamDI Pro IT - 2010 Season

I would do a race at Summit also - that's a fantastic race and the region puts on a really excellent event. There is a whole crew at that place that cool to meet.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

What he said ^
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I am concerned.

While we have in Pro-IT a great series, organized by terrific and caring individuals, and attended by enthusiastic participants, I do not think we have adequately concerned ourselves with the bigger picture.
    By design, the Pro-IT series is parasitic. It requires a host to put on the event, schedule the track, organize the volunteers and paid workers, etc. etc. etc.

par⋅a⋅site [par-uh-sahyt] –noun 1.an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

While the word parasite has a generally negative connotation, that is not the point I am trying to make. What I am concerned about is that we have many people supporting the development of the parasite, disproportionate to the comparatively meager support of the host.
    Without a healthy host, the parasite eventually dies.

To illustrate this, I need only point out the current preregistration numbers for the October Pro-IT and Regional event at NJMP:

...... Reg ....Pro
    SM..... 1...... 3
    ITR.... 3...... 8
    ITS.... 2...... 9
    ITB.... 1...... 3
    ITA.... 1...... 1

....... 8...... 24

I know many of you have read at least a few of the other threads regarding the future of IT. While much of the talk is of rule changes, there is still a considerable amount of discussion about the current recession driven overcapacity (ie too many events, not enough participants).

Some make take my remarks as "Glenn calling the baby ugly", but they are meant to encourage discussion that will make the host healthy, to continue the success of the newly popular Pro-IT series.

For example, I support the suggestion that future Pro-It races not be scheduled on the same days as a regional event at a different "nearby" track.

Also, in reference to the chart above, I suggest that in future Pro-IT races that are held with Regionals, paid participation in the Regional should be a requirement for the Pro-IT.
    To this idea I know that some might say "I cannot afford to do both the regional and the Pro-IT"...to that I respond that you are asking others to carry the load for you, and those others are not forthcoming.

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by lawtonglenn View Post

I am concerned.

While we have in Pro-IT a great series, organized by terrific and caring individuals, and attended by enthusiastic participants, I do not think we have adequately concerned ourselves with the bigger picture.
    By design, the Pro-IT series is parasitic. It requires a host to put on the event, schedule the track, organize the volunteers and paid workers, etc. etc. etc.

par⋅a⋅site [par-uh-sahyt] –noun 1.an organism that lives on or in an organism of another species, known as the host, from the body of which it obtains nutriment.

While the word parasite has a generally negative connotation, that is not the point I am trying to make. What I am concerned about is that we have many people supporting the development of the parasite, disproportionate to the comparatively meager support of the host.
    Without a healthy host, the parasite eventually dies.

To illustrate this, I need only point out the current preregistration numbers for the October Pro-IT and Regional event at NJMP:

...... Reg ....Pro
    SM..... 1...... 3
    ITR.... 3...... 8
    ITS.... 2...... 9
    ITB.... 1...... 3
    ITA.... 1...... 1

....... 8...... 24

I know many of you have read at least a few of the other threads regarding the future of IT. While much of the talk is of rule changes, there is still a considerable amount of discussion about the current recession driven overcapacity (ie too many events, not enough participants).

Some make take my remarks as "Glenn calling the baby ugly", but they are meant to encourage discussion that will make the host healthy, to continue the success of the newly popular Pro-IT series.

For example, I support the suggestion that future Pro-It races not be scheduled on the same days as a regional event at a different "nearby" track.

Also, in reference to the chart above, I suggest that in future Pro-IT races that are held with Regionals, paid participation in the Regional should be a requirement for the Pro-IT.
    To this idea I know that some might say "I cannot afford to do both the regional and the Pro-IT"...to that I respond that you are asking others to carry the load for you, and those others are not forthcoming.

Glenn,

The Oct Pro-IT/Reg is Fri/Sat/Sun. I think that having 2 races back to back with event participation on Fri may be part of the problem. I'll go to the Oct Pro-IT but not the regional for this reason. I can only give my employees so many unpaid fridays off before they asked me to pay them!! For all the self-employeed folks out there having to take another day off really adds to the weekend costs.

R
    Rob Breault
    BMW 328is #36
    2008 Driving Impressions Pro-ITA Champion
    2008 NARRC DP Champion
    2009 NARRC ITR Champion
    2009 Team DI Pro-ITR Champion

I share your concerns Glenn. The discount for the combination of reg and Pro IT is a great thing and the region tries the best to make it work.

However for this case we need to consider that not everyone can make it Friday (means travel to NJ on Thursday). If everything is on the weekend it should be less of a problem to run both. Also as a guess it might be too much driving time that specific weekend for some - tires, personal fitness etc. Last but not least the regional that weekend is not a NARRC points race.

So again, I second your point, just that weekend is a bit more difficult.
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Maybe going back to the 1- ProIT race per weekend along with the regional would help? As much as I like 2 long races the regions do have to survive. I believe it is the extra Friday that is hurting. If you plan 2- ProIT races then they much be indendpendent & held on their own weekends, not to hurt the regions.
    IMO

I understand.

For me anyway, the fact that there are 5 races in one event weekend is a major plus...and since it isn't a points race, my plan is to gather up all my "still good but not fast enough to win" tires, and use them up.

As to this event's schedule, Friday is merely two qualifying sessions for the Regional. My intention is to show up late Friday night, miss the Qualifiers, and start from the back. Once again, this isn't a points event.

I really do understand that each of us may have a particular difficulty with this event. However, I only used this as an example, since the data is so compelling.

My point is really bigger than this one event. I know of several friends that I have had fun racing with in prior years, who have decided to only race the Pro-IT series in 2009. If too many people take that path, the parasite outgrows the host, and poof....

Glenn Lawton
    GSMmotorsports
    #14 ITS RX7
    NARRC ITS Champion 2012
    NERRC ITS Champion 2013 12 11 10 09 08
    NERRC STU Champion 2010

Quote Originally Posted by dominojd View Post
    1. and it is the most important suggestion, MAKE SURE ERIN IS AT EVERY RACE NEXT YEAR and see if she has any friends she wants to bring.
    of course joe would think of this one 1st!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Bro View Post

I feel strongly that the Pro-IT series should be IT. Meaning I like the idea of SM running in ITS/ITA. I have seen some dumb things happening on track recently and it's coming from the midpack SM guys. I'm not sure if they know what goes into a top notch ITR/S car but it definitely puts the value of these IT cars pretty high relative to a Miata. If they have to stay in their own class how about a split- start so they can just hammer one another? It seems the thought that some drivers in SM share is that contact is allowable under the guise of momentum or bump drafting. What I've observed now is that that very philosophy is tranferring across the classes. I was hit twice last race in the rain by SM's, once almost wrecking me. I think it's a mistake to not inforce on track contact heavily. If we want to keep the series professional we have to enforce a "modicum of decency toward one another". It'll tighten up the racing without increasing the repair bills.

R
    allright.... enough!

SOME ITR DRIVERS NEED TO GO FASTER. c'mon guys.... why is a miata anywhere near you. think about.

also i think a better tone towards other racers is in order. issues with drivers should be discussed amongst those drivers and officials if necessary, not on a forum where is does no good.

you can keep bashing the miata contingent as much as you like. we are not going away anytime soon BUT i can guarantee darell anthony and bob zecca, that as soon as you take away SM as a class, you are going to lose entries (MONEY)!

we run in the pro it series for the same reasons like everyone else:

lots of time, excellent format, a few bucks to be had to offset expenses and generally a fantastic group of drivers and crew.

you don't hear us complaining that spec miata is not listed as part of the series name???

it's called PRO IT, which is just fine.

for those who are clueless, bumpdrafting (according to wikipedia) is as follows:

Bump drafting Bump drafting is a tactic used in NASCAR races at Talladega Superspeedway and Daytona International Speedway. The technique was initially popularized by the Archer Brothers in the SCCA Sportruck series during the late 1980s.[4] It begins as normal drafting, but the following car pulls up behind the lead car and bumps into the rear of it, pushing the lead car ahead, to maintain momentum.
    If done roughly or in the wrong position (e.g. close to the entry of the turn), this tactic can destabilize the handling of the lead car sometimes causing a crash. Use of the tactic in this manner is known as slam drafting.

in other words...

don't do it entering a braking zone
    don't do it in the middle of a corner
    don't do it exiting a corner

yes i know it's not allowed by scca. but it happens. the scca officials will have to deem what is not acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by dtanthon View Post
    We can make an ITM class, save the $10 fee

This is what Atlanta has in their rules -
    2.4 The Atlanta Region IT Miata (ITM); cars must conform to SMCS C.6.c.2. Regional Competition. A spec tire is not required. Showroom Spec Miata (SSM) conforming to the Atlanta Region SSM rules may compete in
    ITM; ARRC SM (ASM) may compete in ITM; ASM must conform to ARRC rules for ASM.

I also heard the comment to keep Pro IT pure, drop SM/SSM all together. Make them run ITA or ITS.
    NO.

i agree to give the miatas a split start (trust me, we love them) and all the 1st lap b.s. can be avoided for the most part.

but keep SM.

this series is only 2 years old. let's not change so much of it that we lose sight of what it could be 5-10 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by TimM ITB View Post
    I have no idea as to how "possible" this is, but I like the idea of running at different tracks, not the same track mutlitple times. So my recommendation is to get the series to as many different tracks as we can in 2010. Even saying that, we need to be careful about long distance hauls and the costs involved.

Tracks that I would like to see on the schedule in order of priority:

Watkins Glen
    LRP
    NJMP - thunderbolt
    VIR
    Mid Ohio
    Pocoono
    NHMS

Again, don't know if it is possible, but this way there is no "home" track for anyone, and we could expose the series from Virginia to Ohio - which is another important point for our sponsors, and for promoting the series as a REAL series.

And once again -- 2009 has been excellent --- big thanks to Bob and Darrel for putting it all together!

Tim M
    YES,YES,YES!!!!

more tracks...although i disagree with the order of importance.....Pocono should be at the top.

bump

Good luck to all the TeamDI Pro IT and NorthEast drivers attending the ARRC. Bring home some metal!
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

bump

Good luck to all the TeamDI Pro IT and NorthEast drivers attending the ARRC. Bring home some metal!
    Thanks D. We'll try our damnedest.
    Crazy Joe
    #01 ITA
    Nissan Sentra SE-R
    www.kakashiracing.com
    [email protected]
    www.kesslerengineering.com (Matt's the man)
    First non CRX at IT Fest 2009 2nd place overall
    2008 ITA NARRC & NYSRRC Champion

Points Structure:
    The one feedback that I have received is that the points system is too skewed to larger classes. Right now both entry points and finishing points are based on the number of cars in class. Would it be more meaningful to just count finishing points? Should the entry points go away? Thoughts?

If entry points went away:
    ITR - no change
    ITS - 2nd and 3rd would have swapped
    ITA - no change
    ITB - no change
    ITC - no change
    SM - 3rd would have changed

Check www.NJRRS.com for the 2010 rules and schedule. Check FB for sponsor info.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Can anyone jump in on a single race? I wouldnt mind driving the lime rock race.
    Drew

Says Fast Reply! YES
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

No problem for Lime Rock in May. As long as you and your car meets the requirements just be one of the first 38 to register.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

I'll have to look into how those requirements differ from IT. Cool thanks!
    Drew

No difference, if you have an ITR, ITS, ITA (IT7), ITB, ITC, or SM (SSM) it fits. There are even a few NASA cars that fit. Check www.NJRRS.com and come on out.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

Points Structure:
    The one feedback that I have received is that the points system is too skewed to larger classes. Right now both entry points and finishing points are based on the number of cars in class. Would it be more meaningful to just count finishing points? Should the entry points go away? Thoughts?
    Another alternative for consideration is to base finishing points on the number of cars in class (no change) and assign a fixed number of entry points e.g. 25, regardless of the number of cars in class. The entry points will reward consistency and support for the series and finishing points will reward on-track accomplishment.

Terry

Comments?

6.1 ENTRY POINTS
    Each entry will receive five (5) points times the number of entries in the class. The number of entries will be determined by the number of names listed in the Final Results less withdrawals and "no shows".
    Example: 5 entries = 5 X 5 = 25 points to each entry.

TO:6.1 ENTRY POINTS
    Each entry will receive five (5) points times the number of entries in the class. The number of entries will be determined by the number of names listed in the Final Results less withdrawals and "no shows". Maximum entry points per round shall be 25.
    Example: 4 entries = 4 X 5 = 20 points to each entry.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

2010 Pro IT Series
    Round 1 - April 10 - New Hampshire Motor Speedway - NER - with NeSCCA National
    Round 2 - May 15 - Lime Rock Park - MoHud/NNJR - with NeSCCA National
    Round 3 - June 5-6 - NJMP on Thunderbolt - SJR - NeSCCA National
    Round 4 - June 26-27 - Summit Point Raceway- WDC - with NJRRS/MARRS
    Round 5 - July 24-25 - Watkins Glen International - GLEN - with double NARRC
    Round 6 & 7 - August 13-15 - NJMP on Thunderbolt - JRB - with ARCA

Rules have been updated on www.NJRRS.com

Things that changed:
    Entry points
    Prize funds

Comments welcome, see you in March at the RoundTable and the April at NHMS.
    Thanks,
    Darrell Anthony

2010 Pro IT Series
    Round 1 - April 10 - New Hampshire Motor Speedway - NER - with NeSCCA National
    Round 2 - May 15 - Lime Rock Park - MoHud/NNJR - with NeSCCA National
    Round 3 - June 5-6 - NJMP on Thunderbolt - SJR - NeSCCA National
    Round 4 - June 26-27 - Summit Point Raceway- WDC - with NJRRS/MARRS
    Round 5 - July 24-25 - Watkins Glen International - GLEN - with double NARRC
    Round 6 & 7 - August 13-15 - NJMP on Thunderbolt - JRB - with ARCA

Rules have been updated on www.NJRRS.com

Things that changed:
    Entry points
    Prize funds

Comments welcome, see you in March at the RoundTable and the April at NHMS.
    I see that each round will have a $300 entry. My question is if the double in NJ is $600?