Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glove box, In or out???

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    +1 on taking out the knee bolsters. But since the glove box isn't mentioned, unless it falls in the "other panel" language it's got to stay in?? Then the knee bolster which is Josh's second picture has to stay in too, because the allowed mod ( removing the "others" knee bolsters ) is performing a disallowed function ( removing the glove box ?) I guess Josh's and my argument is that in our case the glove box is coverd by the "other panels" called out in the rules.
    In my opinion, the glove box is a component of the right-side under-dash cover panel. When I remove the under-dash panel, the glove box necessarily comes with it.

It's no different than when I removed my center console, I also removed my hazard switch. Was I supposed to let the hazard switch dangle from the connector? Maybe so, but I left it out. Same thing in my mind.

I'm usually pretty conservative when it comes to the rules but this one seems easy.
    Josh Sirota
    ITR '99 BMW Z3 Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    That padded knee bar was only present in later years of the A2. Earlier years had a trim panel with some integrated cubbies/parcel tray. The knee bar is NOT part of the dash, and is pretty heavy. Take it out.
    Thanks for the clarification. It's an '87 GTI, so an early one with lower trim panel. I wasn't sure what else to call it, hence referring to it as a padded knee bar made of hard plastic. Right now it only serves one function, and that is to hold the fuse panel. Otherwise this lower trim panel gets in the way and I was hoping I was allowed to remove it. Thanks.

Since the Hair Graft Fairy hasn't come to visit me yet, I keep a Hat in my glove box... right beside the bottle of NOS!
    hoop
    Greensboro, NC
    STL Newbie

When I moved my car from RS to ITA, I asked the officials in my region about the golve box and was told to add it just to be safe in case of a protest. The rule book is silent about keeping or removing it, so I would add/keep the glove box.

Since I am a one man race team, I use it to hold the tire pressure gauge and my cap. It is very handy to have.
    98 SE-R; 2008, 2009, 2010 ITA SoPac Champion
    2002 Toyota Tundra tow truck
    2007 Honda S2000
    2010 Golf TDI

You know Naji, it was your comments to me about putting your glove box in that started me to question it. In the middle of 9.1.3.9f it says, "All other interior trim panels may be removed." Now given the pictures Josh posted, if I remove all the allowed interior trim panels my glove box has nothing to mount to. So is this a case of an allowed modification performing a disallowed function? If I had to keep the box, I'd probably bolt or pin it closed. The things like to just open at odd times, and I'd hate to have a tire gauge just flying around the cockpit
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Meh. Who cares? If you want to leave it in to keep crap in it go right ahead. If you want to remove it, go right ahead. If somebody protests you for not having the glove box you get to kick them in the nuts. Pretty sure it says that in the ITCS somewhere.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Quote Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
    Meh. Who cares? If you want to leave it in to keep crap in it go right ahead. If you want to remove it, go right ahead. If somebody protests you for not having the glove box you get to kick them in the nuts. Pretty sure it says that in the ITCS somewhere.

David
    That's the "Tom Sprechter addendum".
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

"I'm sorry glove box but that means you are out." - Heidi Klum
    -----------
    '89 RX-7 ITS