Thread: What Car?

Default What Car?

This may be too broad of a question, but I will give it a try. I am leaving SM for a variety of reasons and have been looking at ITS as a class to move to.

The BMWs and RX7's interest me since they have a history, lots of them around, etc. As with any car, each seem to have their plus's and minus's.

Anyone have an opinion on which they prefer or what I can expect to pay for a decent example of either one?

JC

Quote Originally Posted by JC Curtis View Post

Anyone have an opinion ...

JC
    prolly not...
    George Bugg
    Huntsville, AL
    ITA CRXsi

If you already have a SM, why re-invent the wheel? Mod the SM to fit into its appropriate IT class...

Both great cars. I just heard last night that there was 'talk' in impound to the effect of "If I could get XX thousand for this car right now, I'd sell it".

From what I've seen other cars sell for, and that comment, I'd say you could pick up a very very good second gen RX-7 for under 10K.

Now, I'm nat as familiar with the BMWs, and prices are variable. The former ARRC winning cars of Chet Whittle were bought by a guy who then sold them later, I *think* I recall the 'negotiable' price around 20K. Those cars were top drawer.
    With the E36, you have the option of running the car in ITR as well. Of course, a built to ITR specs car needs wheels, is less weight and has more power. But, there is some double dipping potential there. The BMW is also more current technology, while the RX7 is, at this point 20 years old. First gen engine parts are getting more than scarce, not sure what that bodes for 2nd gen parts.
    Welcome to IT. Whare are you from/racing?
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    If you already have a SM, why re-invent the wheel? Mod the SM to fit into its appropriate IT class...
    A 99 goes to ITS, and a 1.8 is a GREAT car for ITA. However, Greg, he might be able to sell his car, and buy an ITS car for nearly even money, putting him way ahead of building an SM into an ITA or ITS car.
    Jake Gulick

for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

For what it's worth, there was an E36 ITR/ITS car for sale in the last issue of Grassroots for 25K. It looked to be very well prepared and the owner listed several accomplishments of the car.

An E36 that has run ITR all season went down to ITS at the last MARRS race and was dominating the field until he overheated.
    Steve Beckley
    Walkersville MD
    MARRS #87 ITB MR2

JC

PM me.
    Ed Tisdale
    #22 ITR '95 325is (For Sale, $15,000 with spares)
    #22 ITS '95 325is (Converted to ITR)
    #22 ITS '87 325is (Sold)
    #5 ITB '84 318i (RIP)
    Racing BMW's since 1984

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    ...he might be able to sell his car, and buy an ITS car for nearly even money...
    Maybe I'm out of touch, but I cannot even IMAGINE someone selling a cometitive Spec Miata for the same amount of money it would take to buy a competitive ITS car. Or competitive ITA car, for that matter. Or a mid-pack SM for mid-pack ITS/A, or ad nausea...

Umm I can I now somebody who sold a mid pack spec miata in the last 2 months, for more than AJ nealy will sell you an ITA crx that can podium at the arrc this year. The miata had been around for a while too, it wasn't a brand new car, and it didn't have a strong motor. Healthy, but weak by sm standards. Pretty sure that it was in the ball park of enough to buy Rucks its prelude as well. +- 1000 dollars of Kevin Rucks car.

Brian
    Last edited by frnkhous; 09-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.

Greg, AJs CRX was ....13K or so ask?? And there are front pack, (maybe not TOP notch) ITS cars selling in the mid teens. Aren't SMs selling for more than that?
    Jake Gulick

IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region

Thanks for the input.. fwiw.. the SM was bent bad enough that it no longer exists.. and it was a 1.6 anyway which puts it at a bit of a disadvantage to a 1.8 in ITA.. so I am looking at other options.. the info of around 20k for a good car is close to what I had been told by others.. Time to weigh options..