Thread: and it’s all bullshit………

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

My region is fairly user friendly about such issues and I will take some credit for that. I have been arguing for less hassles and reduction of silly rules in the supps at road racing board meetings for years and yet there are often people that want to add something like that. We had a proposal for a cancellation fee just this last winter, and it came from people I respect. Fortunately it failed.
    The economics of running a race event is very dependent of number of entries. There is a fairly high fixed cost and only a bit of variable cost. A swing of 20 cars can make a pretty big difference in the bottom line. Given that I always figured that as a region you want to be the one that is easy to race with. Even if 10 percent of your driver pool thinks like Dan it can have a big effect on your profitability.
    I enter way ahead and pay at the window. If I have to mail a check ahead of time I think twice before I enter that race.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

the IT Spectacular weekend is one of my favorite races and when i register i understand the rules and the risks. i know that when i have traveled on vacations, i accept the risk on some flight cancellations and book the cheap ones and i have at times bought cancellation insurance for overseas flights.

similarly, i read the policy and decide if the risk is worth it.

not the best analogy but i have had tequila tonight.

anyways, the policies were quite straightforward. my personal M.O. for this is to register on line and send a check in the mail. this way the registration is easier and i know that the check will not be cashed until after the event (at least i have never had a check cashed prior to an event).

i don't like the online credit card payment cause i know the charge is hitting me right then and it is costing the region more than the stamp will cost me.

a few years ago the fort wayne region cancelled a race (brat bash? at Gingerman) due to the low number of entries. there was something like a $5,000 to $7,000 cancellation fee. there was something like less than 10 entries pre-registered. did anyone see if fort wayne had a race this year?

the regions commit a very large sum of money hoping we will be there. fort wayne made a very difficult decision in that they picked the way that was going to cost the region the least amount of money (cancel early or pay the full load and not have the entries to cover it)

i can understand that some would say that you have to err on the side of the customer and some will say the customers should be responsible.

since this year's IT SPECtacular had a $50 late fee after 7/21 and a $50 cancellation fee after 7/29, i really see no difference in "costs" of registering and then a late cancellation vs. paying the late fee at the gate. either way, you are out $50.

personally, since i was committing $150 in fuel to get to and from the track, cancelling and losing the $50 fee would be better than driving to the track and having to cancel.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

What really ticked me off was that I used my credit card for and entry fee and and not a fine or penalty! Any region that has to use these tactics instead of charging the appropriate entry fees is not anywhere I want to race no matter how big they think their race is!

I hear NASA has a really great program. May be you would be happier with them.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by jhooten View Post
    I hear NASA has a really great program. May be you would be happier with them.
    Ahhhhh the intellect of a Texan.....Love it or leave it, where have I heard that before?

Why should we raise the entry fees on every entrant to cover the cost incurred by the few who want to pull out on a whim at the last minute? It is the same drivers all the time that do this. Abuse the system often enough and things start to happen to prevent the abuse.

If you have a valid reason for withdrawing take your case to the region and ask for a waiver of the fees. If you don't and decide to stay home because your cousin's girl friend's sister has a hang nail pay the fee and quit whining.

Don't like that way the region is operating get active to change it. Run for a seat on the board.
    Jerry

Lone Star Regional Executive
    Lone Star Tech Chief.

Jerry, now this is a opinion that is respected.
    You are right we should be more involved how our regions plan and charge for races, and I plan on reviewing our regions policy when it comes to withdrawals. I do believe that transmission problems and saftey issures that cropped but were not found until late Thrusday race car were valid issues but the Cincinnatti Region didn't even what to hear them. So not only did I have to fork out money to replace a transmission I had to order other parts to make the car safe and they still hit me with a $50.00 penelty.