Quote Originally Posted by tnord View Post
i've never opposed that effort.

PS - the internet is a terrible place; specifically forums. nothing good has ever come from them.
I SO disagree with that.

This board has educated lots of people, and IT is better SOLEY because of THIS board. If it wasn't for conversations and discussions, (some might even call them fights!) that happened here 5 or so years ago, much of what the ITAC has done to create a consistent and repeatable system to classify cars would NOT exist. Nor would the ability to balance the classes from their previous dorked up state. I rarely see the owner of this board, but when I do, I always thank him for his generosity.

My thoughts.....I've stayed out for a bit as requested, but..

I find it humerous how people love to compare washer bottles with ECUs.
The simple truth is, allowing ECU mods is the consitent play. Carbed cars were always allowed jetting, air bleed and other such changes. When they were assigned weights, it was assumed that the builders would take advantage of that allowance. Allowing ECU cars to do the same -alter the fuel curve- is no different than what was done in 84. The basic premise didn't change, the technology did. yes, they are not exactly the same, the carb and ECU, but you get the point. In an ideal word, yea, stock ECUs would be neat, but, that would mean that perhaps 30 percent of the cars classed today would be essentially un raceable due to rev limits speed limiters and other constrictions in the stock software. And that's only going to get worse.

So, being "anti creep" in that area was really being rather backwards. For those that feel ECU cars have been getting a break, remember, the Process assumes a full tilt ECu will be used. The good news there is that yu can get great performance from ECUs that are very reasonable.

Regarding Ron's list:

Washer bottles. sigh, who cares. If you can't find the stock one, don't lose sleep over it. or put a non stock one in. Move on.
Windsheild Wipers: The country has places where the water from the sky is common. They need wipers. So we all have them. Fair is fair, and even prep is a good thing.
Heater core: See above. Why should geography decide who gets a better car?
Headlight removal. Gran pulls his, gets a lot of cold air. Stevens pulls his, and his battery is right there. Oh well, no extra hp for him!
And so on