View Poll Results: I would like the IT rules to allow removal of dual purpose vestiges.

Voters
131. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

76 58.02%
  • No

55 41.98%

Thread: A Poll Regarding the IT Rules Set

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by nlevine View Post
    Having built an early-70s IT car, I see the logic of allowing the absence of washer botles and 100% stock wiring. I'd be happy to vote yes if I can also vote to go back to stock ECU hardware. I think that some of Ron's suggested list helps "level the playing field" in terms of reliability and eligibility for older cars without additional cost. The ECU rule may have created a level playing field somewhere, but it's at a level I can't afford for my current OBD-II car (and I always felt that the software mods achievable for a stock ECU are roughly equivalent to rejetting the Weber on my old 2002). Can I vote "maybe" now?
    Noam - Just because you can't afford to buy an upgraded ECU is not a reason to restrict ECU's
    Jeremy Billiel

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Billiel View Post
    Noam - Just because you can't afford to buy an upgraded ECU is not a reason to restrict ECU's
    That actually wasn't the point, per se. Removing a washer bottle is of no real competitive consequence and does not compel somebody else to do something to remain on the same competitive level. The ECU rule does. Being compelled to spend the time and effort - not so much the money - to muck with stuff that I never intended to muck with when I started out with the car is what I can ill afford.
    It's hard enough to find the time just to race.

Now back to the discussion at hand rather than beating the ECU horse.
    -noam

On racing hiatus for a while
    NER SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by nlevine View Post
    That actually wasn't the point, per se. Removing a washer bottle is of no real competitive consequence and does not compel somebody else to do something to remain on the same competitive level. The ECU rule does. Being compelled to spend the time and effort - not so much the money - to muck with stuff that I never intended to muck with when I started out with the car is what I can ill afford.
    It's hard enough to find the time just to race.

Now back to the discussion at hand rather than beating the ECU horse.
    But it is another item that will cost time/money to remove. No reason to remove it, The wiring issue for older cars I kind of understand, but think that for the most part if you attempted to rewire the whole car just like the original harness nobody would care nor is it really disallowed by the rules(you were simply repairing it right). Now if your asking to modify the harness to make it easier to repair/replace. Hell no. Cause now every single car can cut into the harness, remove wires, run lighter and or smaller gauge wiring. You wanna see a spending war, imagine car harnesses that cost more than the pimpy motec ecu you guys bitch about. Sorry but performance advantages can be gained from being able to move weight around. The gains may be smaller/less obvious but they are real. If a car truly won't make weight with the assumed 180lbs driver then ask for it to be reclassed. You have a legitimate argument for it to be moved down one class at a heavier weight. Understand my car is overweight right now, and it ain't all driver. If you weighed 150lbs you would make weight, otherwise i'm over. But give me all the shit you guys listed plus the things I haven't done yet and I bet I can make it A ok for a 300+ pound person. or enough to balance the car out side to side and possibly front to rear to some extent for a 150-180 lbs person.