Thread: 2010 NARRC Series Feedback

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default GA is right

I don't have a dog in this fight, but alot of people loose sight of why they started in this sport. not to win championships but to have fun and learn about their cars and how to race them....dave

amen
    Tyler Birden
    #77 ITA
    Acura Integra
    www.nfaracing.com

Couple of comments - first - I will absolutely write a summary of each NARRC race I'm at - but I need a "cold German to hand me a blond supermodel" :-)

Second - Greg? WTF? You not in this for the joy of competition? You get tired of winning? I love racing because of the competition. Otherwise I'd do PDX days... Come on man - that was the goofiest post I've seen from you. Don't care about a championship? - bullcrap.

I like the idea that every race is a NARRC race but you can only count so many races from so many tracks so that the championship cannot be won racing at NHMS or NJMP alone.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Come on man - that was the goofiest post I've seen from you. Don't care about a championship? - bullcrap.
    Waaa...? You equate "joy of competition" and "winning" and "competition" only with winning a series championship? If it's all about the season numbers,why don't we do Fantasy Racing instead? After all, I can win a championship that way much more cheaply...

Hey, when was the last time you were drinking with the guys and you reminisced and review play-by-play about winning a championship? I'd suggest you spent a hell of a lot more time talking about specific races...because that's what it's all about. No one remembers championships, everybody remembers good individual races.

Personally, I'd rather tan your ass on a race-by-race basis...the effect is immediate and the bull-shatting lasts a lot longer...

Second - Greg? WTF? You not in this for the joy of competition? You get tired of winning? I love racing because of the competition. Otherwise I'd do PDX days... Come on man - that was the goofiest post I've seen from you. Don't care about a championship? - bullcrap.
    Ben, I totally understand where Greg is coming from. He's not saying he gets tired of winning, but is talking about chasing one of many "championship" series. If people enjoy doing that, good for them.

After coming back from a fantastic Summit Point weekend, agreeing much with what Greg said, hearing how regions want to focus on improving participation...maybe the time and energy would be better spent focusing on making a few amazing events. Yes, I know we have some very good events but talking about taking it to another level such as the IT Fest, Summit's Labor Day Weekend, and ARRC. More to come in another thread.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Hey Greg - you are an expert at putting words in other peoples posts - you used the word ONLY - don't play that rookie debate crap with me, thanks. I don't have patience for people reworking what I say. That irritates the shit out of me.

My point is clearly that competition is why we race, otherwise do a PDX. That's why it's called RACING. I would rather tan your ass over an entire season which is what shows who was the best driver that season, not a particular particular race. It's tougher to win a championship.

But I do agree that when we are hanging out drinking all of Crazy Joe's Yeungling, folks talk about specific races, not self aggrandizing over their Championship season.

But don't diminish the importance of a racing championship. (Wait - I forgot the smilely face so I'm not so pissy :-)
    Last edited by benspeed; 09-08-2009 at 09:36 AM.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by benspeed View Post
    Hey Greg - you are an expert at putting words in other peoples posts - you used the word ONLY - don't play that rookie debate crap with me, thanks. I don't have patience for people reworking what I say. That irritates the shit out of me.
    Easy there, cowboy! Notice that was a question, my friend...? I'm trying to point out that in my opinion placing a priority on series over enjoying individual races can skew your perspective and actually cause you to enjoy the individual events less. If I had to choose between enjoying the individual events more and the series less, or vice versa, I'd choose the former in a heartbeat. And I have.

Sure, it's "tougher" to win a championship than an individual race, but you're mistaken that the winner of the series is necessarily indicates the "best driver". All a series championship primarily does is indicate which competitors are more "devoted" (i.e., willing to commit more resources) to running the entire series, and then - and only then - deciding within that smaller subset who is the "best driver". If The Randy Pobst comes in and beats us all in one or two races, but doesn't run the series, are you going to claim that by winning the series championship that you or I are the better driver than The Randy Pobst?

I certainly don't diminish the accomplishment of winning a series championship;hell, been there, done that, several times. I'm simply pointing out is has no value to me. I will quickly pass on that 13th or 14th NHMS NARRC/NERRC/MARRS/whatever event to be able to compete at a Pro-IT event in New Jersey, or the ITFest at Mid-Ohio, or the ARRC at Road Atlanta. I do this hobby because I enjoy the events, the races themselves, not the season-long quest for the series.

But, if that's the focus, that we want to prove who's the better drivers over a full season of racing, then it should be all races, all tracks, everything counts, and no drops. Want to "prove" who's the better season-long driver? All in, babe; that's how they do it in the Bigs.

Everything else is just posing.

And, on a lighter note, I suspect you highly misunderstand the competitive nature of PDX events...

Greg

Can't we all just be friends!

My car is quickier than your car.

Can't friends disagree?
    Jerry
    NER South