Thread: great lakes guys crossing into canada and racing?

Default great lakes guys crossing into canada and racing?

i went to Mosport to spectate last weekend and aspects of the track look really appealing (elevation changes, etc.).

but the lines at the bluewater bridge were relatively bad.........

so has anyone crossed there since the increased border security, etc. and have any helpful hints?

Greg Amy was saying that when he had raced at Mosport in the past that they had to completely inventory the equipment, etc. for crossing the border.

i am assuming that i could stay out of the truck lane since i am private but not sure my race trailer qualifies as for the auto/RV lane either.
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

I can't say I ever have, but I'd love to. I really wanted to run the Mosport National this summer but it was the weekend after the June Sprints, which already made it inconvenient, but imagining what I'd have to go through at the border made it even less appealing. But really, of all the tracks left within a one day drive of me that I've never done, Mosport is the one I want to hit the most.
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Kevin,

i did find this info about the customs http://www.nescca.com/registration/Supps/09-N-646-S.pdf but am also interested in more specifics about where to cross, etc.

the line for semi's was all the way across the bridge and a couple of miles back from the bridge when i came back by sunday. and it was worse (both lanes) on friday going stateside.

Mosport looks like a great track!

tom
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Mack and I go to Mosport every June for the vintage festival and have never had a problem (quite a few cars come from the NE). A few years ago we made a photo inventory of the race trailer, including the car, which we take with us. We used to stop and have it stamped on the way into Canada so that coming home we'd have no problem proving we took all that stuff in with us, but everybody told us this was a waste of time so we don't do it any more and haven't been hassled. But we do have the inventory with us if we should ever need it. We go over the Thousand Islands bridge, and get in the autos/RV lane (don't get in the truck lane, that's really intended for commercial trucking vehicles). We try to time it so that we cross the bridge in the evening or late at night when it is less busy. Usually we can get through customs in about 5 minutes. We have always used our passports, even before they were required, and I think that helped. Sometimes the customs officials want us to open the trailer, but mostly because they want to see the cool racecar. We've never had any kind of problem. Mosport is a GREAT track. Don't let the border crossing keep you from racing there!
    Leigh McBride
    National F & C
    Mo-Hud Region

I think there is some benefit to stopping at your own countrys border station to at least talk to them about what you are doing. It is not likely you will have trouble coming into Canada, unless you just HAVE to bring your Glock with you. They may want to know whether you intend to sell the car in Canada, whether you can get it back out of the country if it breaks....Coming home can be an issue if the border guards want to make it so- thats where an inventory (you aren't going on a road trip of that length without KNOWING whats in the trailer, anyway!) and a prior visit may help.

Prior criminal record makes for no fun at all, even if its been cleared.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Passports for all!

A prior DUI conviction means you are not welcome in Canada.

It can be fun crossing the border.

In 1997 when we did the Nissan deal with Speedvision cup they didn't like our truck drivers 9mm!!

They didn't like the box of new GTI Racing/Nissan Motorsport jackets we had for the crew (Never got those back) either

So, if you see customs guys wearing green jackets that say "GTI Racing/Nissan Motorsports" Look out!!

Fortunately they didn't find the four cases of XXX we hid in the trailer on the way back
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976