Thread: Your Opinions On Nelson's 'Day After' race format

Default Your Opinions On Nelson's 'Day After' race format

What did everyone think of the event format for Nelson Ledges' "Day After" double regional?
    Dave Dusterberg
    ITA#9 Dodge Neon
    2011 Indy Region SCCA Activities Director
    http://www.indyscca.org

Loved it.
    Qualifying race by random draw was quite interesting as we were mixed in with the prod guys.
    I picked 9 (doh!) and started behind an HP midget. green flag flew and I put it to the wood...forgot he would have slower acceleration than me and gave him a little chrome horn. just a slight nudge..nothing too bad. But had a ball racing thru the field and ended up 3rd. started 3rd for the first race and got a great jump on the start and finished 2nd. for the final race I started 2nd on the front row with Mr. Marhefka. I got a good jump but Marhefka has so much more motor than I do, so I tucked in behind him when he hit the bridge and tried to hold on to him..but couldnt. Ended up 2nd again. But cant complain. The car felt amazing and I got more Kryder points!

how did everyone else do?
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

It was great!!

Thought that we could have started a bit earlier though, but recognize that the workers needed to catch some ZZZZZZZZs after the 12-hour.

Most of the drivers I spoke with loved the format. Their reasoning is/was that for the most part the outcome of the race was determined by the 10th lap. Also, the start is always the most exciting part of the race and everyone (ok most everyone) had three starts that day.

However I'm not sure how that format would work if the fields were larger or there were more groups. Also the SM/ITB/ITC had three laps under full course yellow. Spending 30% of the race under yellow really isnt that much fun.