Thread: Golf spec

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I have an '83 ITB GTI that I have been tossing around the idea of building to a "C" Rabbit because the car really isn't competitive with the newer chassis' that abound in "B". An ITGTI class would be the FWD equivalent to IT7, which at least has its own class at the IT Spectacular. Knestis makes a very valid point with his above comment about road racing, however, were this idea to come to fruition as a stand alone, I'd be in. I have to agree with Lizard about racing with friends and all the fun and bragging rights that go with it, and with ECR - stay within the IT rules.

You have to remember that the Cup series were a marketing ploy for the manufacturers to sell cars, now you might want to look at marketing this type of series to newbies. Getting started in motorsports is difficult enough, picking the wrong car just compounds the aggravation. The opportunity to race in an "equal" car would provide newbies a chance to get their feet wet and perhaps save themselves a lot of time, effort, and money. Rent-a-Rides could be a viable option in this class also. My $.02, FWIW.

Knestis,
    Just read your reply about the A2 chassis. My only experience is with the A1 chassis, which at best is only 25 years old, and it is not competitive in "B". Non crossflow head, flexie flyer front end, underpowered and less aero than a concrete block, it's hard to justify "B" racing when midpack is the best I can expect. At least in "C" I have a chance to race up front.
    Last edited by Grumpa; 08-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp