Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Golf spec

Default Golf spec

http://www.750mc.co.uk/F-golf-gti.php
    Check out this . Spec VW. Lots or cars.
    The cars still have some value, when they are even, fun , and dont break.
    I tried to put this together for The Fl. thing but every one wantted to run their own thing. I am all for it.
    I will even put it together if I get 6 cars that want to play .
    Mike Ogren , FL. Interested/ Email me
    [email protected]
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

The 750 Motor Club has a long history of cheap racing series in Britain. They had a "hot hatchback" series back when I first stared reading Autosport in teh '80s that looked like it had HUGE fields. We just don't have enough road racing in the US for this kind of niche marketing, no matter how much sense each idea might make on its own.

K

Default Golfspec

Yellow 03 GTI from Fl region. Count me in IF standard IT mods are allowed( header, coil overs,etc)

Sounds like a good idea.

David Leira
    El Cubano Rapido

Hi David. Thanks.
    At this point in time, the VW ,ITB cars have traded around for less than 5000$. They all cost at least twice that when built. Exzample the Miata. Cost is about the same to build, and they pass around for 9- 20K. It is all about the value of racing. 40 cars , going the same speed is the best race, regardless of the actual speed.
    There must be a lot of VWs sitting around because they are less than competitive , at this point in time. Who wants to spend the entry cash and the weekend, just to drive around with a few midpack cars? Good in it's own sense. But what if.. you had 10 or 20 Vws, all on three wheels, in turn 17?
    With the 16V being outclassed in ITA, the Mk 3 on megasquirt, going well in ITB. Maybe it is time to return to the old ," Golf Cup" style of race.
    All VW ITB or 16V,ITA cars will be elgible/ If the Mk 3 proves too fast, with squirt, maybe the stock D fant will be allowed.
    I am open to suggestions, keeping the racers happy is very important.
    I have one car, maybe two. When I get 6 cars, I will approach CFR, SCCA , to put us together and give it a try.
    WE will try balance the cars with weight, per the English version., for starting values. I will ask for engine build sheets. The goal will be to help the slower cars get up to speed.
    I know that many hate spec car racing. But after racing 30 years,it is not what you race, it is the race among 5 or 6 of your best friends, all waiting for the others to make a mistake, laughing as you go by, the spinning, dirt tossing, car.
    These events are the remembered races, not the qualify up front, and drive away races.
    Hand signals are mandatory.
    MM
    Mike Ogren , FWDracingguide.com, 352.4288.983 ,http://www.ogren-engineering.com/

Sounds like allot of fun. When funds and time come back i would be interested!
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

You're talking about ITB cars, with the exception of the 16v, that can already be competitive. (I don't buy the thesis that the MkII - as a make/model option - can't be competitive there.) Seems a shame to suck entries out of an existing class to create another smaller one. How about doing a class-within-a-class among the VW fans in the area...? Those same six guys could be racing among themselves within the current structure. Heck - everyone could put a six-pack in the kitty and the winner takes home the brew loot.

More seriously, I'd be curious to hear more about why you think VWs are "less than competitive."

K

I have an '83 ITB GTI that I have been tossing around the idea of building to a "C" Rabbit because the car really isn't competitive with the newer chassis' that abound in "B". An ITGTI class would be the FWD equivalent to IT7, which at least has its own class at the IT Spectacular. Knestis makes a very valid point with his above comment about road racing, however, were this idea to come to fruition as a stand alone, I'd be in. I have to agree with Lizard about racing with friends and all the fun and bragging rights that go with it, and with ECR - stay within the IT rules.

You have to remember that the Cup series were a marketing ploy for the manufacturers to sell cars, now you might want to look at marketing this type of series to newbies. Getting started in motorsports is difficult enough, picking the wrong car just compounds the aggravation. The opportunity to race in an "equal" car would provide newbies a chance to get their feet wet and perhaps save themselves a lot of time, effort, and money. Rent-a-Rides could be a viable option in this class also. My $.02, FWIW.

Knestis,
    Just read your reply about the A2 chassis. My only experience is with the A1 chassis, which at best is only 25 years old, and it is not competitive in "B". Non crossflow head, flexie flyer front end, underpowered and less aero than a concrete block, it's hard to justify "B" racing when midpack is the best I can expect. At least in "C" I have a chance to race up front.
    Last edited by Grumpa; 08-29-2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Jim Sexton
    …I feel ill at how far we have drifted from engineering and automotive integrity. It's not just nostalgia. It's more like sorrow. For a shining moment in human history all our science and engineering blossomed to create the great inventions and designs. Now we engage in techno-masturbation like Twitter and TPMS…
    Riley Tharp

The last regional I was at @ sebring, there were 3 VWs in ITB, 1 in ITA, and maybe 1 ITC. maybe not. I dont think that we could thin this out very much. The cars just dont come out.
    David had his MK 3 pretty fast and won.
    James. Does your 16V have a header? I came by to talk to you ,but you were pretty busy. We were running the Miata, not a DUB.
    RE Rabbit MK 1, It seems very doable to allow the 10/1 engine,and adjust weight.
    I would try this , with the IT cams in your cars for starters.
    I would eventually like for all the 8V cars to run the same cam, and have the same compression ratio(10/1). Not right away, but to keep it close, as soon as cars made it time to try it. If the cars are just fine ,as is, we'll leave them alone. We could group buy for about 100$ each or a little less. The same cam and compression, would be ideal,IMHO
    Techtonics cuts my custom cams for my Ministock. Nice cams. We could easily balance the the solid cam cars and the hydro with the same cam grind for both cars. If the 16V runs the stock exhaust manifold,and stock cams, and they will run real close. I had a stock, lightened ,track 16V that turned the exact times as my ITB Golf. 2:48 Long. Sebring
    Even the 16V, 7 in wheels might work out(MAYBE NOT) , as the 16V carries about 60# more front end weight.
    I would hope that all could run on 6in wheels and open tires.
    I dont think that balancing the cars will be very hard.
    I would guess that most of the old 1.8, 16V, have been turned into 8V cars a while ago. A low dollar 16V should be our standard measuring block. I hope that most of the cars could go about 2:46-2:47 @ Sebring.
    Please post any thoughts . Goal, is close, repeatable , cheap race cars,that all go about the same speed. MM

>> The last regional I was at @ sebring, there were 3 VWs in ITB, 1 in ITA, and maybe 1 ITC. maybe not. I dont think that we could thin this out very much. The cars just dont come out.
    David had his MK 3 pretty fast and won.

So what kind of cars are running up front in B, besides David's MkIII...? Are we sure that everyone is legal...?

>> Goal, is close, repeatable , cheap race cars,that all go about the same speed. MM

How about ITB...?

K

Duece Keene, when he runs, generally takes the win down here and his car is ABSOLUTELY legal (and 200 lbs heavier than a MK3).
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

Mike,
    Its bone stock (and very very very tired). I have a header for it but not going to put it on until I rebuild the motor (which wont be for a while). We tried chips but they made the car bog coming out of the corner (at least at sebring short) Under this program, what is the weight difference for the 16?? And, is it different from the 1.8 to 2.0? Would we run the weight as it is in the GCR?
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

I got beat by Deuce at the SIC last year. He brings the whole package, no doubt.

But I'm also pretty confident that - as a driver - I left enough time on the table at RR to have made up most of that difference.

Frankly, I just don't think that more classes are a good thing for SCCA club racing. And all it would take to "qualify up front and run away" in a spec class like is described here, is EXACTLY what's required to do so in ITB today - budget, engineering, testing, and talent.

Look at NASA's Spec classes - most notably e30 and the 944s. Everything was copacetic in the early seasons until competitive pressures started encouraging the guys/gals who wanted to run up front to go crazy - by building real (gasp!) race engines, for example.

It's not rules that control costs: It's low levels of financial commitment required to run up front. That comes primarily from low class subscription - since high levels of participation go hand-in-hand with competition, and typically, higher numbers - so the only way to "assure" low costs to run up front is to have small classes in which entrants aren't compelled to really duke it out for wins.

So the upshot is that, as long as Spec VW isn't a success, it could be cheap. If it catches on and someone gets serious about it, it will stop being cheap.

K

We ran two NASA races this Summer,(Teen Challenge SM). Hyperfest, and MidOhio. Lots if cars. There was only one VW in some PT class. Lots of E30, 944, spec cars. The races were non stop battles. NASA does a good job. They seem to bring a lot of big money cars. The spec racing was very tight and well subcribed.
    There are more E30 cars than CFR gets for ITB.
    I am sure that we can run a small Spec V, ITV, class, with the A 1 cars, 8V, A2cars and the stock manifold, gearset, A2 16V.
    Basic rule set; A1 ,1.8 8V, any head, 10/1 compression, spec cam or stock cam. 3.94 final gear. Any header, weight .2270#
    A2 8V, Hydro head, 10/1, any header. 2270# 3.94 gear
    A2 16V, stock cams, stock exhaust, stock gearset, 2270# (3.67x091 gear)
    I would discourage the 4.22 gear, because it is NLA, and stuff explodes sooner with it. I am up in the air with welded diffs. I love racing with them but they create their own problems, both driving style and prep issues.
    Of course, the weights will be adjusted to balance any markedly fast model combination. The goal is equality. I know that it is a bit to swallow , if you spent 20k to dominate ITB.( our ministock VW had 75# added to reduce our domination, this year)
    I am not opposed to back dating the Scirocco with the hydro 1.8 @ 2350#.
    If you have looked for any 1.5 or 1.6 parts , you may like this route.
    I am aware of the anti Spec people and respect that opinion. I like to race, the closer the cars, the better the race.
    I am open to suggestions,(that are printable)
    I will do all that I can to make this work and fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    Is this for the 1.8? What would it add (if any) for the 2.0?
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

Watching with interest, then...

Taking minor liberties, I've pulled out the outcomes that you anticipate for this venture:

** Increase the resale value of VW racing cars with prep levels similar to IT

** Attract fields of "10 or 20" cars "going the same speed"

** Get a lot of VWs that are "sitting around because they are less than competitive" out on the race track

** Find a place for the 16v (1.8, 2.0, both?) to race where it won't be "outclassed"

** Balance the cars with weight and engine build sheets to achieve on-track equity among "all VW ITB or 16V, ITA cars, and maybe 2.0 with some restrictions

** Keep the racers happy; help get the slower cars get up to speed

Is that an accurate summary?

K
    Last edited by Knestis; 09-21-2009 at 07:50 PM.

K. Pretty well summarized.Thanks,
    RE, 2.0, that should work, but will need a lot of weight, maybe 200#. It makes a lot more torque than the 1.8. Long run, the 1.8 will cost less tires, brakes and overall weight. 6 in wide wheels. though for now.
    I will consider tires and wheels , when I get info on current fitments.
    I wil try to get the run group in ITB. The target times are there.
    If someone wants to start a Yahoo group for info sharing, lets get it going. [email protected] 352/428/8983 cell.
    Last edited by Flyinglizard; 09-01-2009 at 08:54 AM.

I like it. I would love to race with a bunch of VW's that are relativly close in speed. For me, not only would it be a fun group to run in, but it would help me to learn set-up and improve on my driving skills as the idea is to have cars that are close to the same, correct?
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

Default VW Cup,USA

Heres where we're at. "VW Cup" very similar concept to UK Cup.
    I have a Note into VW for some help , NA yet , but they have answered me inthe past.
    I have a tire deal pending withFalken tire. for the 615 tire at about 75$ or less. We will test that tire very soon on our Chumpcar. But it looks fine in other racing.
    Racers, Please email me with intent, car specs and some lap times. lets get it going for early 2010. Mike Ogren ,
    [email protected] 352/428/8983 cell.

Too bad my geographic location is outside the area under discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyinglizard View Post
    I would discourage the 4.22 gear, because it is NLA, and stuff explodes sooner with it.
    I'm curious about this point. Since it's allowed by the IT rules why the aversion? Concerns about engine longevity rather than performance gains?

The 4.2 R&P is still available:
    http://www.parts4vws.com/catalog/pro...er=020409143AG
    And shorter R&P from an 8V GTI should also fit for something around 3.9.

Default VW Cup

The 4.22 works well at very few tracks, runs the weak 5th gear too hard, too long, and if the cam and ECU are near stock, wont go much, if any faster. The mechanical drag(tooth angle, OD) and bearing load onthe tiny 5th gear, negate much advantage. Power thru the larger 3rd, and 4gears last a lot longer. It just makes more noise, followed by silence. The 16V may like it more, and I want to keep the cars even. If they run the same RPM range, they will stay close.

The 3.89 and 3.94 gear is about optimal for most tires and tracks, IMHO.