Thread: Removing the Horn and Hood Latches (and minimum rollcage tubing sizes...)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Dick's correct (I'm looking at the '09 GCR now).

- If your car was registered prior to 1/1/08 your car is subject to the rollcage rules in "Appendix G. 2007 Roll Cage Rules" (p GCR 147). There you'll find references to different weight classes and the note that IT cars subtract 180 pounds to determine tubing size.

- If your car was registered 1/1/08 or later, your car is subject to GCR 9.4 "ROLL CAGES FOR GT AND PRODUCTION BASED CARS" (p GCR 88). Therein is a list of weights and rollcage tubing sizes, with no 180# exemption for IT cars; ergo, rollcage tubing size is dependent on classified weight (i.e., with driver, horn, and hood latches - if installed).

Note that there are some distinct and tricky differences in wording with the new rules, especially in regard to optional tubing; it's best you read those new rules carefully if you are building/built a new car after 1/1/08...

GA

True Dat.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

So to answer this question "Also is it my understanding the new car weight/roll bar diameter requqirements beginning 1/1/10 will be based on the car weight with driver? "

The answer is the published weight of the car. Period. Whether published weight includes Driver/No Driver is irrelevant to the cage and the weight of the actual car is irrelevant. That second part doesn't make a lot of sense but that's a whole other can of worms.
    Jim Hardesty
    ITC 1986 Honda Civic Diablo Rojo Verde
    Never argue your tab at the end of the night. Remember, you're hammered and they’re sober.