Thread: KA24E oil pressure/pump

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I got the new sender in the car and it seemed to work - for a while. I put it in Saturday and cranked the car up to see what kind of pressures it would show. It was giving me 50 at idle and going all the way up to 75 or so at revs. This seemed like a good thing so I was happy. Then I shut the car off and the gauge read 10psi with the motor off. I'm like WTF? Does that mean all my readings are now 10 psi high? I had other things to do and stopped working on the car till Sunday morning.

Go out Sunday morning and the gauge still reads 10psi with the motor off. Even better, the gauge never moved when I started the motor and now reads 10psi all the time. Somewhat pissed at this point, I start trying to figure out what is going on. The gauge reads 80 with nothing connected and 0 when grounded, which is correct. I ran a new wire from the gauge to the sender and still got the same goofy readings. Tried grounding the body of the sender with the same results. I'm going to try a couple other things, but the only thing I can figure at this point is the new sender failed. Lovely. If I can't make it work then I'll leave the gauge disconnected since bad readings are worse than no readings.

The good news is that the car is completely ready to go except for the oil pressure gauge issue.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Newbie here and this is my first post. What brand gauge are you running? Are the connections clean and tight? And finally is the wiring green in any spots? I had some cheap-o crap Glowshift gauges that did what you are describing. I have since switched them out to VDO with new wiring and things have been much more reliable. I am running KA24e engines in 2 older Hardbody trucks.

This is only a 4 year old post you bumped, do I would assume the problem has been solved by now.
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

I see there is a great welcoming committee here. Hello to you too!

Apparently the problem hasn't been fixed.
    https://improvedtouring.com...ad.php?t=31974

Rev_d21 Moderator at Nicoclub.com

Have a nice day.

Sorry bout that- been a rough week. 13hrs at work today and still counting. first one in, last one out, boss doesn't even care.

Anyway.. Welcome!
    David's been through probably 25 engines since 2009, so this one is getting tired too.
    Strange.. my KA24DE has about 140k miles on the ticker and I rev it to 7000 every shift. This engine has been in the car since 95k miles, and I quit street driving it at ~110k. so it's got 30k track miles on the thing. pressure gauge never says over 40psi, but the damn engine just won't die!

KAs don't get tired, they just ventilate when they've had enough...
    Houston Region
    STU Nissan 240SX
    EProd RX7

LOL. I think the motor is more pissed right now that I don't run it enough.

I replaced the old oil pressure gauge/sender and that fixed the original issue. I think the current one is ok. The quick oil temp drop I see when I turn the car off is due to oil draining out of the adapter where the temp sensor is located I think.

I'd prefer to catch any oiling issues early so that the motor doesn't get extra holes in it. Maybe I'm a little too sensitive.

Welcome to the forum rev_d21 (got a name?)

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region

Thanks for the welcome. My name is Devin. I autocross and rallycross Nissan trucks with KA24e engines. A buddy and I were talking of transforming one of my trucks into a Pro-IT racer with hopes of getting the SVRA to open up a truck class like Coor's Racetruck Challenge trucks of the late 80's which is how I found this forum, just browsing for as much info as I can find. Sorry about bumping a 4 year old thread, I just like trying to help people when/if I can. I will start an introdution thread one of these days, don't want to thread-jack this one any more than I already have.

Nice to meet all of you.
    Last edited by rev_d21; 09-27-2013 at 06:34 PM.