Thread: How to replace fuel cell foam?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unless you got the foam pre-cut for your specific cell (and that's rarely the way you get it - it's usually just in big blocks), what you also want to do is pull out the old foam first then use the old pieces as a template for cutting the new stuff. It makes the whole installation a lot neater than trying to figure out a pattern yourself.
    Don't worry about compressing the foam to get it in and out. I recently replaced an 8" x 8" x 16" block thru the 3" opening of a "stock car" cell with minimal problems.
    Tom Lyttle
    Decatur, GA
    IT7 Mazda - 2006, 2008 SARRC Champion
    ITS Nissan 200SX - finally running correctly
    FP Ford Capri - waiting for a comp adjustment
    GT3 Dodge Daytona - what was I thinking?

Thanks for the info guys. I ordered replacement blocks from Fuelsafe so they were already the size of the cell. Once I got everything apart I wound up just leaving the old pieces in there. I pulled a couple out and didn't notice any real degradation. Since I'm just trying to get in a couple races for the license I decided not to replace. I'll do it when I pull the cell to put it in the new tub.

I don't know if Bob was having fuel starvation issues or it's just standard procedure to put in a surge compartment, but I have one in the center of the cell. The pump/fuel pickup are inside a square compartment in the center of the cell. Bob had also cut up some extra pieces of foam and stuffed them in the cell. I just left everything the way I found it.

Now I just have to figure out my oil pressure issue, but that's a different thread.

David
    ITA 240SX #17
    Atlanta Region