Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: September Fastrack

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    Fixed that for you (I hope you agree). WB O2 was not declared illegal, just not equivalent to narrow band.
    True...true. Not an allowable 'addition'.
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Well, hard to police isn't supposed to be a consideration right?

I don't see anything illegal about sending a signal to the ECU to data log (by they way, I am presently not doing that on the Haltech I now run). Each piece in the chain is allowed = sensor in the exhaust (exhaust free, gauges free), wiring to the free ECU.

Chuck, I personally think you are fine but that is just my opinion.

Is there a way from the log to show that the WB02 is not controlling the ECU during operation? That seems to be the simplest method of proof.
    Yes on a Megasquirt. The Gego value in the log is the % multiplier of fuel due to O2 sensor input. 100% means no effect. It can also be determined without a log by checking the configuration (connect a computer and check a setting). However all of that assumes standard ECU firmware that doesn't "lie".

I personally would be happy to disconnect my WBO2 if a competitor expressed a concern.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    Well, hard to police isn't supposed to be a consideration right?

I don't see anything illegal about sending a signal to the ECU to data log (by they way, I am presently not doing that on the Haltech I now run). Each piece in the chain is allowed = sensor in the exhaust (exhaust free, gauges free), wiring to the free ECU.

Chuck, I personally think you are fine but that is just my opinion.

Is there a way from the log to show that the WB02 is not controlling the ECU during operation? That seems to be the simplest method of proof.

I think that this was greg's only point and I agree with it being hard to police. I do agree it is not technically legal to use it for the ecu, just hard to control what someone does with the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Duc View Post
    So what is the purpose of this D.1.a.6:

To allow for non-oem sensors? Aka NAPA brand O2 sensor vs. OEM? So running non-oem compataible sensors (aka drop in to OEM EFI system) is illegal?
    Exactly

It is a lot easier to sync the O2 data up with the engine data if it is all sampled in the same device. And many of the systems do allow for two O2 sensors, once could be used for Closed loop (narrow band) and the other for Data (Wide Band). The solution is easy to test for by just disconnecting the WB during a dyno run.

The engine wiring and connectors are free per D.1.a.7:

Is it safe to assume that includes the ECU and it's connectors?

Sorry for all of the ECU questions. There is two projects that I will be working on shortly taking two different routes, one a modifed factory ECU (that did not belong in the car), and another that will probably be standalone ecu. I want to make sure I understand all of the rules on these before implementing. The biggest implication would be having to run both narrow (close loop equivalent) and a WB sensor.
    Wires in the engine harness aren't exactly 'free'. You can modify them or replace them Doesn't say you can add additional ones. And please don't say that changing what they're connected to falls under 'modification'.

Do you consider the ECU to be part of the engine harness? I don't.

And while I appreciate what you're saying, I don't know of anything in the IT PP&I that allows things specifically because it 'makes something easier'.

A question for the rules nerds. First, a NB O2 sensor sends a signal to the ECU, upon which adjustments are made. How in the hell does that differ from a WB O2 sensor? Functionally they both do the same thing. Since ECUs are free, and all ECUs manufactured since there has been an O2 sensor use them to adjust mixture, DUH!!!!! Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    A question for the rules nerds. First, a NB O2 sensor sends a signal to the ECU, upon which adjustments are made. How in the hell does that differ from a WB O2 sensor? Functionally they both do the same thing. Since ECUs are free, and all ECUs manufactured since there has been an O2 sensor use them to adjust mixture, DUH!!!!! Chuck
    And (thanks again, Bill) my Schrick aftermarket cam "does the same thing" as the stock one I took out. It just does it better.

Not really. From the GCR:Equivalent - The same form, fit, function, and dimensions.

I can't simply pull out the stock NB O2 in my Golf and plug in a WB. I need a controller, that generates the signal that makes the new one - with more wires - work. That's NOT the same in "function," even if it does screw into the same bung.

K

I don't see this as that hard to police. If the wires go to the ECU it is not legal, period (even in practice sessions, test day ok though). I don't care what you say you're doing with the data, or any log files you produce that show it wasn't used for tuning. I could generate similar log files in my car that say your car was using the sensor. Clearly those would be fabricated, but what proves yours aren't also?

Hmm, maybe if I stick a nitrous bottle in an extra temperature gauge...

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Miller View Post
    Wires in the engine harness aren't exactly 'free'. You can modify them or replace them Doesn't say you can add additional ones. And please don't say that changing what they're connected to falls under 'modification'.
    Without a clarification that an equivalent sensor has to function in a 100% factory electrical specification, and since connectors can be modified or replaced; then it really is not a hard stretch to get to changing sensors out. That is what this is about.

Do you consider the ECU to be part of the engine harness? I don't.
    No. But I am trying to understand that if I put another ECU in that will require different ECU connections. Do I have to use the existing ecu connector (aka an ECU adapter), or can the cutters come out and just remove that connector and use the new one? My read is the connector can be replaced with another since it is serving no additional function than the previous one. Also since it is still connecting up the the factory sensors (now that that is clear), I will be ok.

Now how would you be able to connect additional power and ground, or communications for data logging and gauges to the ECU without adding additional wire? And would I be able to omit emissions equipment wiring and connectors in the new system? Or can I only modify it to a really short connector?

And while I appreciate what you're saying, I don't know of anything in the IT PP&I that allows things specifically because it 'makes something easier'.
    It may need to fall under the, it will keep the cost down, since the ECU (especially standalone) can do the translation of the sensor to the datalogger/ gauge vs. an additional standalone box.

This is the reason I and others have data loggers hooked to the ECUs. Why should we duplicate sensors, especially slow moving ones like temperatures, when the ECU is already doing it. Now in my case, I did add an oil pressure sensor for datalogging and gauges, since the factory is just a trigger switch. Now I would have liked to change that switch complete out to the sensor in the "new" ECU. Internally it would have become the electric switch it replaced, but after this discussion it does not seem to be legal.

Also why did they then allow for TPS and MAP sensors? That did make it easier (and potentially less $$) to switch from MAF to a speed density. Though those Miata's still have to suck their air through the factory MAF sensor.

Again I am not looking to make a big deal out of this I just want to know what can be done so I do it only once.
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

i have to admit i love all the wideband O2 sensor adds that pop up automatically at the bottom of the screen for this thread...........
    1985 CRX Si competed in Solo II: AS, CS, DS, GS
    1986 CRX Si competed in: SCCA Solo II CSP, SCCA ITA, SCCA ITB, NASA H5
    1988 CRX Si competed in ITA & STL

Quote Originally Posted by GKR_17 View Post
    I don't see this as that hard to police. If the wires go to the ECU it is not legal, period (even in practice sessions, test day ok though). I don't care what you say you're doing with the data, or any log files you produce that show it wasn't used for tuning. I could generate similar log files in my car that say your car was using the sensor. Clearly those would be fabricated, but what proves yours aren't also?

Hmm, maybe if I stick a nitrous bottle in an extra temperature gauge...
    ummm nothing says that the data logger and the ecu must be seperate components (both are allowed) and most aftermarket ecus have some data logging ability. I give up you can think whatever you want, someone will do this and get away with it, it won't be me.

Now, I run a WB for my megasquirt...on the dyno. I will go on track in closed loop/learn mode and burn that to the controller and disable the WBO2 for the race and use it simply for data logging. It is an easy switch inside the MS software. I
    So it looks like the popular opinion is that you can't use your wide band to allow the ECU to adjust fuel metering during the race.

Questions:

1. During a race what if you, the driver, observe your dash mounted wide band O2 sensor display and reach over and turn a potentiometer (or whatever actuator you like) that adjusts your air fuel ratio? Legal?
    2. During a race what if you, the driver, reach over and turn a potentiometer (or whatever actuator you like) that adjusts your air fuel ratio (no wide band O2 sensor involved)? Legal?
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 08-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Earp View Post
    So it looks like the popular opinion is that you can't use your wide band to allow the ECU to adjust fuel metering during the race.

Questions:

1. During a race what if you, the driver, observe your dash mounted wide band O2 sensor display and reach over and turn a potentiometer (or whatever actuator you like) that adjusts your air fuel ratio? Legal?
    2. During a race what if you, the driver, reach over and turn a potentiometer (or whatever actuator you like) that adjusts your air fuel ratio (no wide band O2 sensor involved)? Legal?
    Both (1). and (2.) seem legal to me. In my particular case, an EGT guage is my budget-racer version of the WB O2 sensor. The potentiometer in this case is a driver-adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Observe the EGT guage, adjust the FPR... my stock 1971 briefcase-sized "ECU" never knows the difference.

And oh yeah, like Charles B., I'm still using the stopwatch taped to the steering wheel. I'm thinking some of you guys are taking this shit WAY too seriously. Yes, I know... someone's gotta do it.
    Gary Learned
    MiDiv
    Volvo 142E
    http://www.youtube.com/user/denrael

Here is the original request based on a question response by Chris Albin:

"Gentlemen: The following is a decision by the CRB concerning wide band O2 sensors.

" Kevin,
    The Committee felt that the wide band o2 sensor would only be legal if used to feed a gauge if it were hooked to the ECU it would not be legal. I suggest that he write a letter asking for that change and it may be considered. Last night they did not want to change the language to allow it.

Thanks,
    Chris Albin CRB"

I am requesting a re-evaluation of this position for the following reasons:

1. GCR page 333, paragraph 6: "Other existing sensors, excluding the stock air metering device, may be substituted for equivalent units."

Comment: I maintain that a wide band O2 is an equivalent substitution for a narrow band since both units supply the air fuel ratio to the engine control unit (ECU). Both a narrow band and wide band O2 sensors allow the ECU to adjust the fuel air ratio in real time so functionally they are the same. The difference lies in wide open throtle (WOT). The narrow band unit will not adjust fuel air at WOT whereas the wide band will. The difference in functionality is at one throttle setting. See Item #2.

2. It is my opinion that with the allowance of the MAP and TPS sensors, and the substitution of other sensors, the intent of the rules change was to allow after market ECUs which generally (but not necessarily) run closed loop on the wide band sensor.

3. Actually, I feel the wording of the referenced paragraph is adequate as written as "substitution for equivalent units" should allow the wide band unit.

Thanks for your time and interest...Chuck Baader 265512
    "

I will reiterate my premise: It does the same thing "functionally"...it has to be legal:026:Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

I will reiterate my premise: It does the same thing "functionally"...it has to be legal:026:Chuck
    So Chuck - please help us. Define 'functionally'. How about Kirk's camshaft analogy?

'The same in form, fit and function.' SAME....
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

But we are not allowed to "substitute equivalent" camshafts are we?

If we use an aftermarket piece, it is to be identical, not equivalent.

I do think we need definition here. As some of you guys know, I asked around about moving the distributor based cam/crank position sensor in my car to the crank pulley on the theory that it was an equivalent sensor. Basically the same as teh letter we got last week.

The consensus was I was being aggressive but arguably legal. We've now decided it's not (and I had to use the distributor anyway), and that's fine -- but I don't think the "equivalent sensor" rule is as clear as some folks on the CRB seem to think.

Does everyone have their stock air temp and water temp sensors in the same place or did you move them for convenience (i.e. to add a gauge)? If you have a TPS stock, are you using it or one that reads more accurately/is more durable?

And now the kicker -- how about the cam position sensor on the 99 Miata that fails all the time? I'm aware of the fix, am personally fine with it, but don't think it is legal under this strict definition of "equivalent" sensor.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    'The same in form, fit and function.' SAME....
    Other existing sensors, excluding the stock air metering device, may be substituted for equivalent units.

Andy, it doesn't say "same in form, fit and function" - it says "equivalent". I can't find a definition of that word in the GCR, but it is used in a variety of ways. One use says a brake caliper is equivalent to a wheel cylinder.

I'm convinced in my mind that the allowance to substitute equivalent sensors had the purpose of accomodating the ease of application of the aftermarket ECU - for example, a different resistance curve on a termperature sensor. I do not think "same in form, fit" applies to this purpose.

All that being said, I think the important issue is "function". Reasonable people can argue both sides of whether WB performs the same function as NB. However if the Fastrack response is binding (is it?), what reasonable people think doesn't matter, because "on high" has spoken.

However, the context of the letter is to use the WB signal to control fuel mixture during race conditions. The "not equivalent" response indicates a negative answer to that specific question. I don't believe it provides any guidance with regard to the logging questions raised here.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

One writes an email to the CRB to request a rule change. Chuck (apparently) did so, and his rule change request was denied. What the "opinion" of the CRB (or any one particular CRB member) is vis-a-vis the rule application/interpretation is wholly irrelevant.

If Chuck's intent was to get a clarification of an existing rule or a request to interpret a rule a specific way, then Chuck should have used the GCR 8.1.4 process. He did not.

Ergo, nothing (zero, zilch, nada) has changed vis-a-vis the rules regarding wideband O2 sensors, regardless of what one may have read in this month's Fastrack.

GA

Andy, Kirk's analogy of the cam won't fly since the paragraph we are discussing is for the "engine management computer".

ITCS1.A 6. The engine management computer may be altered or
    replaced. A throttle position sensor and its wiring may
    be added or replaced. A MAP sensor and its wiring may
    be added. Other existing sensors, excluding the stock air
    metering device, may be substituted for equivalent units.

1.A.77. Wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness may be
    modified or replaced.

Note: the GCR wording is "equivalent", which is defined in the GCR Glossary as " Equivalent: The same form, fit, function, and dimensions." They both look the same, fit the same place, send a voltage signal to the ECU, and use the same wrench. Why aren't they "equivalent"?

I don't know about your wiring and ECU, but the engine harness on my car contains the connection for the O2 sensor. Therefore, "
    Wires and connectors in the engine wiring harness may be modified or replaced" so it seems to me the wiring is, for all intents and purposes, free.

Therefore, I have a legal ECU, MAP sensor, TPS sensor, and temp sensor...sensors allowed per the quoted paragraph, but the substitution of the O2 sensor is not legal? Someone on the CRB please explain the logic behind the ruling.
    Chuck

Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Greg, you are right...I should have done that in the first place. I will make it so. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq

Chuck, I think Greg's point is maybe you don't want to do anything else at this point.....

Also, speaking totally for myslef, what I heard on our call the other night was that a Wideband 02 does not perform the same function as a narrow so it is not the equivalent. That was the rational used to craft the response we recommended.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8