Greg,

While I agree that gauges are free, where I think your logic fails is that you've got a case where the request to allow a W-B O2 sensor was not approved. I wasn't privy to the letter, so I don't know what was or was not asked for, beyond that. So, you've got one rule that says gauges are free, and you've got a case where a specific type of sender for a gauge was not approved. And while I fully understand the Roffe Corollary, I also understand when it says something is not approved, it's bloody well not approved.

Then, after all is said and done, if you still want to insist it's illegal and a prohibited function, my response is "fine, prove it's being done."
Greg,

Are you slipping a bit in your advanced years?

Wideband is there, but is allegedly only connected to gauge / data logger
Narrowband is there, allegedly working, but really being ignored by the ECU

See where I'm going w/ this yet?

If the Wideband is only collecting data that is displayed, or logged, and is not being used by the ECU, what's going to happen when you disconnect it?

Travis,

You're kidding, right? Or do you really think that guys w/ carbs never dyno'd their cars? And just for fun, where in the ITCS or GCR does it say that your car has to be capable of being dyno'd?