Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
Got to read the rule a little closer to see what you can do. Mechanical injectors must stay but fuel pressure regulators are free. Nothing says the pressure regulator on a VW has to be mechanical. Vary the pressure with a servo in the place of a spring run by the ECU. Variable pressure at any rpm/load setting to a mechanical injector. Yes--it does work and can be done (at least on an old Porsche). Did I say how much I love the gray areas!!
Let me try and open a can of worms, or else someone can tell me I'm totally off base.

On CIS-E, i.e. KE-Jetronic, the DPR, aka EHA is just a fuel pressure regulator. Instead of letting the stock ECU run this, could I run this, and only this device, using an aftermarket, standalone/open ECU? All other functions would be run by the KE-Jetronic fueling and Triumph Adler ignition control units. The DPR is after all just a fuel pressure regulator, and if fuel pressure regulators and control are free, this could be somewhat beneficial.

The catch is that I'd also really need a WB02 and toothed crank wheel along with associated sensor for the aftermarket ECU that I have in mind. (But let's stop calling it an "ECU" because I just want to use it for fuel pressure regulator control. ) Otherwise this idea wouldn't work. As someone pointed out, toothed crank wheels are free under the pulley clause, but there is no provision for the addition of the crankshaft sensor. But under a separate discussion, sensors are free for gauges, just not for engine management. I'm assuming that someone will tell me that this aftermarket ECU that would solely control the DPR, providing closed loop fuel pressure control, would be considered engine management and so the WB02 and crankshaft sensor would not be allowed, even if I was also using this ECU for data acquisition . But I figured it was worth the question.