Quote Originally Posted by veeman View Post
Thanks for the input guys... Leaving the ignition aside, would it be considered legal to sub out the electronic (digifant style) injectors for the CIS mechanical units?

The version of 034 that I have can fire the injectors off of the existing hall sensor signal (although it's not what some people would argue to be the best method) and the digi injector cups / fuel rail *should* fit the 1.6 head (they fit my 1.8 GTI head). The TPS signal, intake air temp and vac signal should also be legal for that setup...

I just tried to comb through the GCR and I can't find a reference to the injector type...although it does indicate in the ITC spec line for the car that the rabbit that I have uses "Bosch CIS Injection"
Unfortunately digi injector cups don't fit a 1.6/1.7 head, they are smaller in diameter. But you can take CIS injector orings and fit them to a standard bosch type 1 fuel injector and it will seal in a CIS cup. But unless a car came with electronic fuel injection from the factory (sciroccos and rabbits didn't) a standalone sytem could not be used for IT (or Prod for that matter)
However you COULD control the freq valve with an aftermarket ECU on a K-lambda system and as Steve E pointed out fuel pressure regulators are free.
We have been kicking around the idea of modding a megasquirt1 to do just that.