Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 83 Mazda Rx7

Question 83 Mazda Rx7

Hello all. I have recently acquired my drivers license. And with that given a car to drive. But as you all know, free things dont come easy. This car was used as a daily driver for a few years, but then my father, Scott Nutter, started racing and just happened to need "spare parts". So long story short, my once daily driver had become a parts car. Over the past several months I've replaced a starter, 2 fuel tanks(one was a 84 tank), a fuel filter, drive shaft, a carb, brake lines, spark plugs, and a few other misc items.
    I've come to a problem. The carb. Stock carb idled fine but my father said trying to take it up to 45mph, it died. It had a bad accelerator pump. I switched the accelerator pump. Before i switched the acc. pump, i had to pump the gas a few times to rev it up or it would die. Now the problem is fixed with the acc. pump. But now new problems have arose.
    1. Car will NOT idle.
    2. Car now has extreme backfiring. (didnt before)
    3. When RPMs are held at 5k for 10-20sec, car dies out and stalls.
    I myself being new to messing with things of this sort cannot figure out what to do or how to fix this problem. And my father, the Rx7 guru has been out of town and unable to assist me. So i look to the expertise of the IT Forums. Can anyone help? Feel free to email me at [email protected]
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Brandon.Nutter; 08-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.

Hey... I resemble that description.

Please, any one, I have a 16 year old with a freshly printed license wanting to cruise in a sweet 83 Rx7. Amazingly parts pulled from plastic bins don't jst bolt together and go. I'm long distance, due to work so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Things described in a different manner sometimes make it all fit together.

This is a stock car except for a header.
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

Way to go kid! That's awesome! You'll love the car they really are a treat, it will be worth the work!

I am lucky, I've never had to mess with the carb on mine... So I'm not much help but check out rx7club.com, it is a really good forum!

Good luck!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by CRallo View Post
    Way to go kid! That's awesome! You'll love the car they really are a treat, it will be worth the work!

I am lucky, I've never had to mess with the carb on mine... So I'm not much help but check out rx7club.com, it is a really good forum!

Good luck!
    Chris...If that kid comes east to LRP, he can watch me go into Big Bend with flames shooting out the exhaust of the #10 12a....awesome...LOL

Quote Originally Posted by BruceG View Post
    Chris...If that kid comes east to LRP, he can watch me go into Big Bend with flames shooting out the exhaust of the #10 12a....awesome...LOL
    haha, that is awesome! need some pics man! My exhaust is stock so it doesn't shoot much flame but it sure makes some noise some times!

as far as those cars go, let me put it like this: I own a 400+ hp Camaro I've been driving since I was 16 and the bone 85 rx7 GS I paid $300 for is just as much fun to drive!
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Nutter View Post
    Hey... I resemble that description.

Please, any one, I have a 16 year old with a freshly printed license wanting to cruise in a sweet 83 Rx7. Amazingly parts pulled from plastic bins don't jst bolt together and go. I'm long distance, due to work so any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Things described in a different manner sometimes make it all fit together.

This is a stock car except for a header.
    and im having problems of my own now.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

And NONE of you guys are helping poor Brandon!!
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

Quote Originally Posted by JLawton View Post
    And NONE of you guys are helping poor Brandon!!

Ive noticed that, but I just had to put my two cents in anyway
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

I'm not much help, because Carbs on these cas are the devil
    Find Sterling & carl on Rx7club, and buy a carb from them....

Make sure your coils, plugs and plugs wires are good and away you go. Does this car still ahve all the smog equipment on it? If so, does it have to? The rats nest is a pain in the butt.
    Marcus
    miller-motorsports.com - Its always an Adventure (and woefully outdated)
    1.6 ITE/SPU/ST2 Turbo Miata (in pieces... err progress)

It sounds like you have a lean condition. Check fuel flow from the electric pump, you may have to jumper the fuel relay, it's under the dash on the right side of the steering column. Check the vacuum hoses for leaks or open ports on the carb. The Nikki carbs are not that hard to work on, NAPA can get the carb kit, and it's not that difficult to clean up and re-gasket. Helps if you have a shop manual but the instructions with the kit are good.
    Check the spark plugs, they foul easy, especially if you have flooded it, also make sure you have the plug wires on the correct plug.
    I hope this helps.

Spike

Check the fuel filter, of course. The old tanks are rust buckets by now, so it's coomon to clog a fuel filter with rust. And if there's no filter, well, a carb teardown/cleaning might be in order. I run a filter right at the entry to the carb, and I use the clear type. Easier to check. There is one stock on the car under the drivers butt, or a bit further back. It's easily ignored.

As mentioned, check the vacuum hoses. They are old, and prone to cracking, stiffening, etc. There are some oddities like the "flapper valve" that can malfunction, but this doens't sound like that's happening.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Like some have said, rebuilding the carb is not hard, especially if it has been prepped for racing.
    Tom Sprecher

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon.Nutter View Post
    Hello all. I have recently acquired my drivers license. And with that given a car to drive. But as you all know, free things dont come easy. This car was used as a daily driver for a few years, but then my father, Scott Nutter, started racing and just happened to need "spare parts". So long story short, my once daily driver had become a parts car. Over the past several months I've replaced a starter, 2 fuel tanks(one was a 84 tank), a fuel filter, drive shaft, a carb, brake lines, spark plugs, and a few other misc items.
    I've come to a problem. The carb. Stock carb idled fine but my father said trying to take it up to 45mph, it died. It had a bad accelerator pump. I switched the accelerator pump. Before i switched the acc. pump, i had to pump the gas a few times to rev it up or it would die. Now the problem is fixed with the acc. pump. But now new problems have arose.
    1. Car will NOT idle.
    2. Car now has extreme backfiring. (didnt before)
    3. When RPMs are held at 5k for 10-20sec, car dies out and stalls.
    I myself being new to messing with things of this sort cannot figure out what to do or how to fix this problem. And my father, the Rx7 guru has been out of town and unable to assist me. So i look to the expertise of the IT Forums. Can anyone help? Feel free to email me at [email protected]
    Thanks.

Brandon - when can we expect you on the track at Nelsons? If you drive as good as your Dad Im going to have to watch my back!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang

Thank you all for the help and ideas. I will try all of them and come back with what results i get.
    As for being on the track, that might take as long as it takes to get my car running Haha.
    Racing isn't just a hobby, its a natural born need.

Hey, sorry, just reread your first post, I fail for comprehension! I see that you replaced the carb, filter and tanks. I still worry about what's IN the carb, and the vacuum hoses, and of course proper ignition.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Have you checked the timing? My carb'd 13B did pretty much the same thing when the timing was screwed up.

Brandon,
    Runs for 5-20 seconds then dies? Can you watch the front float level while you do this procedure with a mirror? With the air cleaner off, hold it at load, and watch 2 things - is there fuel still in the float bowl (1/2 way up the glass), and does the stalling go hand in hand with the secondaries opening?
    Do you have a fuel pressure gauge set up at the carb? Again, watch while you hold the RPM up, and make sure it is not dropping off. With stock jets, you want a constant 3 PSI or so.
    On the other side, pull off the distributor cap and rotor, steal the ones off your dad's race car, and try it again. Listen for 'ticking' under the distributor cap at idle - if you hear it, it is arcing, and your coils are spending all the energy arcing in the distributor instead of at the spark plug!
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Well. I feel quite silly for not catching this one. The problem i described as revving up to 5k and it dieing out, well i only had about 1.5 gal in the tank... So one problem solved.
    Now its an idle problem. I have the throttle cable set up so it gives a little gas to it to keep it running at 1k. But i think there is some other solution I'm unaware of. Can anyone help me with this? I think it might have something to do with the screw on the drivers side of the carb? Its a long screw with a metal pin on the end. The fuel mixture screw i believe.
    And what nozzles should i block off with the caps? All, or only some? Once again thank you all for the help and input.

Here's a link for you:
    http://www.sterlingmetalworks.com/Ni...tor_Manual.pdf

You don't want to use the throttle for idle, if you can get the carb set up for enough air without it. There is an idle circuit that doesn't use the venturi for fuel, and you want it to use that circuit as intended. Vacuum leaks will make life very difficult at idle, as it will make you run very lean. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks before trying to adjust your fueling.

One issue - if you have low compression, then you might not be able to keep the engine running at the stock idle speed. At any rate, check ou tthe link on how to adjust the carb. The second thing - spark advance at idle will help make the most of the air/fuel that you have. If you have the vacuum advance (on the primary ignition) disconnected, reconnect.
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

You don't want to use the throttle for idle, if you can get the carb set up for enough air without it. There is an idle circuit that doesn't use the venturi for fuel, and you want it to use that circuit as intended. Vacuum leaks will make life very difficult at idle, as it will make you run very lean. Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks before trying to adjust your fueling.

One issue - if you have low compression, then you might not be able to keep the engine running at the stock idle speed. At any rate, check ou tthe link on how to adjust the carb. The second thing - spark advance at idle will help make the most of the air/fuel that you have. If you have the vacuum advance (on the primary ignition) disconnected, reconnect.[/QUOTE]

Everyone has been saying something about a vacuum leak, How do i check for that and what do I check?
    How do i check for low compression?
    What is spark advance?
    Sorry for all the questions, no one here to explain. Reading is just gibberish to me, I prefer to learn by doing/watching.