Thread: 83 Mazda Rx7

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question 83 Mazda Rx7

Hello all. I have recently acquired my drivers license. And with that given a car to drive. But as you all know, free things dont come easy. This car was used as a daily driver for a few years, but then my father, Scott Nutter, started racing and just happened to need "spare parts". So long story short, my once daily driver had become a parts car. Over the past several months I've replaced a starter, 2 fuel tanks(one was a 84 tank), a fuel filter, drive shaft, a carb, brake lines, spark plugs, and a few other misc items.
    I've come to a problem. The carb. Stock carb idled fine but my father said trying to take it up to 45mph, it died. It had a bad accelerator pump. I switched the accelerator pump. Before i switched the acc. pump, i had to pump the gas a few times to rev it up or it would die. Now the problem is fixed with the acc. pump. But now new problems have arose.
    1. Car will NOT idle.
    2. Car now has extreme backfiring. (didnt before)
    3. When RPMs are held at 5k for 10-20sec, car dies out and stalls.
    I myself being new to messing with things of this sort cannot figure out what to do or how to fix this problem. And my father, the Rx7 guru has been out of town and unable to assist me. So i look to the expertise of the IT Forums. Can anyone help? Feel free to email me at [email protected]
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Brandon.Nutter; 08-04-2009 at 09:59 PM.