Thread: Thank you Isaac

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As someone who flags pretty regularly and has for 6 or 7 years, I am dismayed at the report of this accident. I NEVER let the driver decide much of anything after an impact. (If you saw Scott Sharp's wreck at the Petit last year at T11, I'm the fat guy trying to get him to come to the wall.) It is my SOP to ask name, date, location, what just happened, how it happened, etc. I also ask about numbness, tingling, pain, and get them to wiggle fingers, toes, etc. if it is a severe impact. I've always been taught that if the car is stalled, you go to the downstream side of the car so you can watch the driver AND on-coming traffic at the same time. As far as leaving the driver in the car, that's an incident-to-incident call. I don't think I would have in this case, but I wasn't there. Remember that sometimes the safest place for you to be is in the car, strapped-in, with all of your safety gear. In regard to going to medical, it is a given at Road Atlanta, CMP, Roebling, etc. in the SEDiv. Race control always tells us, but they don't have to because we know. If you refuse treatment, I expect that you're going to get a great deal of push-back from the stewards. I don't think having your license suspended and having to go through a physical again before racing is too much, but I'm not a steward. Lastly, if the car was leaking ANYTHING, it goes on a tiltbed around here. I just wonder what would've happened to the poor souls at China Beach should he have dumped a bunch of oil in T4 during his drive-in.
    Unfortunate incident. We are all amateurs and I hope that F&C, Race Control, EV, the Stewards, etc. will all learn from this and make appropriate adjustments.
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

As someone who actually has Mid Ohio as his home track and is quite familiar with the Lake Erie Communications folks, I too thought the whole thing was a little odd. I didn't see the car go in, but it looked stuffed in there pretty well, and was obviously in a pretty blatant impact zone. I too was rather surprised it wasn't moved. And if someone told me I had to drive the car back in after that, I would've slapped them upside the head.

Steph and Ed, it was nice meeting you. Sorry the ITA car got banged up, but I hope you enjoyed the weekend otherwise. Also, FWIW, I raced in a Figure-8 School Bus race last Saturday night with my Isaac's on. By Monday about everything else was sore, but my neck felt great!
    Kevin
    2010 FP Runoffs & Super Sweep Champion
    2010 ITB ARRC Champion
    2008 & 2009 ITA ARRC Champion
    '90 FP Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITB Honda Civic DX

Quote Originally Posted by R2 Racing View Post
    As someone who actually has Mid Ohio as his home track and is quite familiar with the Lake Erie Communications folks, I too thought the whole thing was a little odd. I didn't see the car go in, but it looked stuffed in there pretty well, and was obviously in a pretty blatant impact zone. I too was rather surprised it wasn't moved. And if someone told me I had to drive the car back in after that, I would've slapped them upside the head.

Steph and Ed, it was nice meeting you. Sorry the ITA car got banged up, but I hope you enjoyed the weekend otherwise. Also, FWIW, I raced in a Figure-8 School Bus race last Saturday night with my Isaac's on. By Monday about everything else was sore, but my neck felt great!
    Ha! Figure 8 school bus racing? You rock!
    (I used to love Carpocalypse....sp?...my dirty little secret...:cool: )
    It was nice to meet you too Kevin! Mid O was a blast and we do hope to come back again....
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"