Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LugTronic for MK3

Quote Originally Posted by Beran View Post
    What is the intent?
    We had this discussion a couple of years ago, when this rule was changed.

https://improvedtouring.com...ake#post253094

We know what the intent is. You do, too. How you choose to intorturate that is up to you...

Quote Originally Posted by Beran View Post
    What is the intent?

Can I just hang my air flow meter (electrically plugged in) on my inner fender and not have any air flow go through it... Then hook a nice big air intake hose to my throttle body?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagle7 View Post
    4. All air entering the intake tract shall pass through the carburetor or fuel injection air inlet.
    Seems clear to me that your air flow meter is the fuel injection air inlet.
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13 (sold)
    2016 Winnebago Journey (home)

Default thanks

Hey Greg - thanks for the link... I actually missed all that back when it happened. I guess I skipped it since I had no intent at the time. Of course, now I do and I am looking at it. So my questions are not tong in cheek. I also have the feeling that other IT drivers are interpreting the rules differently then intended.

- Why/how would an air flow meter be considered the "fuel injection air inlet" why would the throttle body not be considered the "fuel injection air inlet" or the beginning of the intake manifold?
    Beran Peter
    ITB #0 NER
    VW Golf

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    Think of it this way.

A vehicle's MAF is typically the main intake restriction, especially those with a flapper-type system (e.g. Mk1 Miata). As such, the rule is written such that you cannot remove the MAF and increase the amount of airflow going into the engine.

But, the rule was written specifically to allow such systems as Megasquirt, Haltech, and "piggyback" ECUs, many of which use TPS and MAP as their primary engine load input.

Thus, one can meet this rule very easily: install a TPS and MAP if not so equipped (specifically allowed), and if you wish leave all the wiring stock - even the inputs into the wiring harness/ECU - and simply program your ECU to ignore the MAF signal. Since ECUs are free, including programming, is completely free, it's not only legal to the letter but also to the spirit and intent of the rule.

While you may find the wording of the rules a bit awkward, I ssure you this was the specific intent of them. - GA
    Bravo Greg I would have to agree totally. (And so did certain members of the CRB when I spoke with them about it.)
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG