Thread: 12A in street car

Default 12A in street car

I'm looking at buying a 1979-85 Rx7 that a friend uses as a daily driver. I'm trying to decide whether to drive it as it sits, pull and part-out the 12A and replace it, or what. I'm considering a 13B or maybe even a SBC or 5.0 Ford.
    As an IT7 driver, I know that 12A parts are getting scarce. Wonder what a 12A straight out of a running street car is worth.

Scott
    Racing make heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty - Peter Egan

ITA/IT7 Rx7
    SPU Baby Grand "clown car(s)" 1 stock, 1 with Hayabusa
    CCR BoD
    SWC of CCR Road Racing Liaison
    F&C

I just sold a Renesis short block with 15k miles on it... stillborn project like you are looking at ....
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #71

Seems like $300-500 is the going rate for a running 12A on the RX7Club web site. If you can verify the mileage and the condition of the aluminum housings (no flaking) maybe more than that.

I paid $350 for an 85 12A last year. Wasn't able to see it run in the car but I trusted the seller. Good engine but it smoked allot. It needed new oil control seals which I replaced over the winter - no issues now.
    Scott Peterson
    KC Region
    83 RX7
    STU #17

a 12a will last a long, long time if properly taken care of and they are a blast to drive. An absolute blast on the back roads and even fully stock I can do donuts and drifts w/o using any clutch in my 85...

and the parts are not that scarce... yet lol I say drive it like it is for a while atlest
    Chris Rallo "the kid"
    -- "wrenching and racing" -- "will race for food!" -- "Onward and Upward"