Thread: Oil pan conscious…

Default Oil pan conscious…

I’m running an ITA 16v Jetta and have been running it since 2000 with an aluminum schrick oil pan and the large metal factory windage tray. Is this set up sufficient to run Daytona? I ran there in 2001 without any problems in the race. And plan on going there in September, just wanted to know what you racers think.

Go for it... It shouldn't be a problem
    Jeff Linfert
    Atlantic Auto Works
    We Install and Tune Megasquirt Systems
    #97 GTL Scirocco (for sale)
    ABA Corrado powered by MS3. 40+ MPG

Thanks for the reassurance! Just spent the last year getting the car back on track after we spun a rod bearing a couple years ago at the turkey trots. I would hate to have to go through the engine again...

Just keep an eye on the oil pressure gauge, or install a light on the low oil pressure sender.

P.S. I bet it was the #3 rod bearing? How do I know that? Don't ask.

BTW, what oil pump are you running?

After I spun the #3 rod bearing twice in 2 years, I installed a baffled oil pan, and a Melling high capacity pump. I don't have any low oil pressure issues any more.

The problem I have now, is that I have around 100 PSI cold so I have to warm up the motor very slowly so I don't blow a seal on the oil filter.
    Tim Linerud
    San Francisco Region SCCA
    #95 GTL Wabbit
    Convert from GP to GTL
    http://www.timlinerud.com/racing/index.html

racer_tim @ yahoo dot com

Quote Originally Posted by racer_tim View Post
    The problem I have now, is that I have around 100 PSI cold so I have to warm up the motor very slowly so I don't blow a seal on the oil filter.
    Reminds me of a non-sequitor. The Ford RS200 Group B car has a large red warning on the upper left corner of the windscreen, a see-through sticker with warm up instructions in red lettering. It's an entire paragraph warning the driver of proper warm up procedures, ending with something like "ignoring these procedures will lead to significant engine destruction".

Maybe you need to see if you can snag on of those decals...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Amy View Post
    ... ending with something like "ignoring these procedures will lead to significant engine destruction".
    As opposed to the far more common "insignificant engine destruction" I suppose?
    Hero To The Momentum Challenged