Thread: Cleaner in Atlanta Area

Default Cleaner in Atlanta Area

Where's a good place in the Atlanta area to get a driver's suit cleaned? My has about 6 years of dirt and grease.

I was told that not all laundries know how to clean a nomex suit and that using a home washer is not a good idea if you want to keep the suit for long.

If you are really concerned with it, you can always hand wash it. the agitation cycle in the home washing machine is a bit rough, and the chlorinated solvents and their consituants (PERC, PCE, TCE, etc..)could possilby do harm as well.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

Tom, Depends on the brand suit. Mine is a Sparco and has been dry cleaned in perc, washed in the washing machine (all fasteners and velcro closed) and when washed, hung to dry. Washing will remove the funk, but not the grease and oil. For best results, call around and find a dry cleaner that uses perc and have it drycleaned. Then take home and wash with a good dirtengent (not Woolite) and hang to dry. Given the age and lack of care, this is the best you can do. Chuck (retired dry cleaner)
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Steve and Chuck,

Thanks. Mine is a Sparco suit. I had heard dry-cleaning wasn't a good idea or that just certain kinds of dry cleaning. what is perc?

Thanks again,

Tom

There is a company called Molecule, they are in cleaning and protection for Nomex gear. They are sponsoring Pro IT in the North Eastern Division where I drive and gave away test kits. I am not related or paid by them, just thought it would be helpful. Website is www.moluculelabs.com

Hope that helps
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

I have had my suit (over 10 years old) dry cleaned after each race weekend.

No problemo!

OMP, four years old, wash on gentle every race weekend with gentle soap. Looks like new.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Donnelly View Post
    Steve and Chuck,

Thanks. Mine is a Sparco suit. I had heard dry-cleaning wasn't a good idea or that just certain kinds of dry cleaning. what is perc?

Thanks again,

Tom
    To answer you one question it is

PERC= Tetrachloroethylene
    PCE = Tetrachloroethene
    TCE = Trichloroethene

Some labaotries PERC=PCE. All these chemicals are used in the dry cleaner process(and metal degreasing). I was unaware that they moved away from PERC, but it does make perfect sense do to the extreme environmental impacts it causes. And the fact that it has been found to cause cancer, tumors, etc.. (currently working as an environmental engineer, making a living off of sometime carless Dry cleaners )
    Last edited by quadzjr; 07-22-2009 at 05:59 PM.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Tom, Depends on the brand suit. Mine is a Sparco and has been dry cleaned in perc, washed in the washing machine (all fasteners and velcro closed) and when washed, hung to dry. Washing will remove the funk, but not the grease and oil. For best results, call around and find a dry cleaner that uses perc and have it drycleaned. Then take home and wash with a good dirtengent (not Woolite) and hang to dry. Given the age and lack of care, this is the best you can do. Chuck (retired dry cleaner)
    Why the need for the second cleaning? just curious..
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Perc is the most aggressive of the currently available dry cleaning agents for removing grease and oil. However, it will not remove sweat (or funk) that needs plain old soap and water.

I won't go into defending the use of perc, however, every study done in the dry cleaning industry has come up negative in human carcinogenicity. The major problem lies in its best point as it is twice as heavy as water so it cleans very well, but if spilled, goes to the ground water where it can be a problem. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Very true, it is extremely soulable, an for what it does, it does well.. But just like the Tobacco industry showed that smoking did not cause lung and throat cancer

Not against dry cleaning.. I guit all my suits, and fancier clothes done there.
    Track Speed Motorsports

[email protected]

Had my Momo for at least 10 years and throw in the washing machine
    after every event. Hang out to dry. Never ever a problem.

k