Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air Dam & Splitter attachment Points & COA

Exactly
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

I've thought about stuff like that (not for my own car) and wondered if the extra downforce needs to be balanced in the rear? I suppose it depends on how efficient the thing is, and I'd think that there would be some tradeoff vs drag.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyc View Post
    holding and waiting to hear a counter to it...
    Without going into a long drawn out explanation there is a reason we put our GA cars in a wind tunnel. There is also a very real reason we are limited on the size and overhang of our splitter lip. It is not because they are afraid we will create too much drag and disrupt airflow. Boundry layers and their height off the pavement are very real and have a big affect on drag. The air dam also allows you to better manage the air that enters/goes around the nose and its path. Small changes can alter the lift/downforce difference. But thats just my guess.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)

But be careful, that one blows up! ;-)
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by seckerich View Post
    Without going into a long drawn out explanation there is a reason we put our GA cars in a wind tunnel. There is also a very real reason we are limited on the size and overhang of our splitter lip. It is not because they are afraid we will create too much drag and disrupt airflow. Boundry layers and their height off the pavement are very real and have a big affect on drag. The air dam also allows you to better manage the air that enters/goes around the nose and its path. Small changes can alter the lift/downforce difference. But thats just my guess.
    Umm that was a FAIL on my point...

I was speaking directly too the spliter on the orange CRX and the angle it has along with the openings.

I agree with you on everything else.

It my understanding that something like a splitter doesn't actually create downforce, it simply (can) reduce drag and reduce lift.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    I've thought about stuff like that (not for my own car) and wondered if the extra downforce needs to be balanced in the rear? I suppose it depends on how efficient the thing is, and I'd think that there would be some tradeoff vs drag.
    That's a definate concern I have, I don't want to make my car any more aero-loose. With proper control of the air flow around and under I should be able to reduce some of the lift on the front and back.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

A well planned splitter does a few things... namely reducing drag (dues to reduced turbulance under the car) and clear delineation of above and below air flow. A few minutes on google will outline the importance of the horizontally flat aea behind the leading edge of a splitter.

As I see the regulations... there are three challenges/specifics of importance... a) height... should be no lower than the rim in ITA, b) allowable horizontal plane... needs to map the trajectory of the front fender, c) attachement... not sure how to do a good splitter without something fairly ridig to which the unit will attach.

Used to have a GREAT set up for track days... but it ended up in the recycle bin since the racing problem started!
    Brad
    1995 Mazda Miata (aka Black Betty)