Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Art of Racing in the Rain

Default The Art of Racing in the Rain

The title got my attention as well :026:

My Wife has her Masters in Reading and has a huge passion for education and specifically the benifits of Reading. I however have never read a novel or even been interested in the 31 years that I have driven past or walked through a library to even pick up a book. (Unless of course it was Dave Grans ) Anyway my wife brought home a book Called "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. I have just started it and the 1st chapter is pretty tough and a bit sad but after that it happens to be the first novel that I am actually WANTING to read.

In short so far it is life from a Dogs perspective that lives with a mechanic that races and watches racing on TV. The dog happens to LOVE Ayrton Senna and LOVES racing on TV and listening to his owner speak about Racing. It truelly is interesting and I am hooked for the first time in 31 years I actually want to read.

I just had to share the book, I think several other lurkers here may enjoy it. As my wife says "Everyone is a reader the key is to find the right book."

Stephen

You've never read a novel???? How the hell did you make it to high school, much less graduate????

Yes, books are cool. Some more than others. This one is well regarded.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Patrick Dempsey has secured movie rights for the book, it will be interesting if it ever becomes a movie.

matt

A great read that was passed off to me by Carol. I laughed and cried a lot - an incredible racers story. Wait til Enzo gets his "hot lap" with Denny - lots of twists and turns in the hot lap and the story line. I give it 5 out of 5 thumbs up and I am not a avid reader. ENJOY!

Tim Klvana
    203-240-1901

1997 EMRA Vanderbilt Cup TT ST-3 Champion

2002 ITC NERRC Champion
    2003 ITC NARRC Champion
    2005 ITC NARRC Champion
    2008 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2009 Pro ITA Champion
    2011 ITA NJRRS Champion
    2011 ITA NARRC Champion

CPM Motorsports Cars - '87 Civic Si - ITA #11, '86 CRX- ITC #11, '95 Integra - ITA #11
    [email protected]

Carol Miller, "Take A Breath"
    http://www.reverbnation.com/carolmiller

You've never read a novel???? How the hell did you make it to high school, much less graduate????
    Cliff Notes, duh. I truly knew I wasn't into reading when I began skimming even them. lol Stephen, I'm pretty much in the same boat and recently bought that book. Good stuff so far!
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Finished the book about two weeks ago and gave it to a friend that loves Senna. I really liked this book. I only hope if they make the movie they don't ruin it.

What, none of you NE guys have read any of the 'Last Open Road' series? Those books should be required reading, even if they are based on a time before Bryar.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

I love racing but love my dog more......it took me months to get up the courage to read this book.....I read the first chapter and cried.....then picked it up and read the entire book.....balled my eyes out (easily 20 minutes) during the last chapter......great read about life, relationships, loving pets, racing and good and bad people.....if they do the movie like the book it will be a tear jerker on many many fronts !!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Quote Originally Posted by philstireservice View Post
    I love racing but love my dog more......it took me months to get up the courage to read this book.....I read the first chapter and cried.....then picked it up and read the entire book.....balled my eyes out (easily 20 minutes) during the last chapter......great read about life, relationships, loving pets, racing and good and bad people.....if they do the movie like the book it will be a tear jerker on many many fronts !!

Guess my library is going to get a little larger. Better get busy and finish up the new bookshelves in the basement family room/office!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

That's a great book, well written by someone who actually 'gets it', both about racing and dogs.
    The end is a tear jerker, but a happy one.
    Stephanie Funk
    <Couple of NARRC and NERRC bragging things here>
    HP Honda CRX in progress, ITB Honda Civic, ITA Honda CRX, ITC Honda CRX
    "Green Booger Racing"

This 70 year old geezer read it through in one sitting, ended up at midnight crying.
    I will buy this book for my family members that do not understand why I race.
    Gettin' old aint for wimps

A couple more great racing books:
    "Touch Wood"--autobiography Duncan Hamilton (who?)--who raced Jaguars in European endurance races in the 50's. A different era in racing, and a good book. Some absolutely amazing racing stories.

Another one is "All Arms and Elbows", about Innes Ireland (sports cars and F1 in the 60's--Europe and America). Again, some great racing stories, including exiting the tunnel at Monaco at speed without his F1 car and surviving.

And for the technically curious, "The Unfair Advantage" by Mark Donahue. Great racing stories as he goes from amateur to pro. Get his explanation to Stuttgart engineers why 1000 hp (yes, thousand) was not enough in his Can Am Porsche...

All are great reads with some serious roll on the floor laughing bits.

Tak
    29 ITA SFR SCCA
    Last edited by Tak; 07-18-2009 at 03:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post

Yes, books are cool. Some more than others. This one is well regarded.
    Maybe we're showing our age because I remember when cliff-notes wasn't avalible for every book ever assigned. My favorite fun reads are mostly Sci-fi/fantasy. Now I'm reading mostly for work. I was looking for Peter Egan's latest, I've always enjoyed his articles in R&T, but was unable to find it at some of the chain book stores.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

Quote Originally Posted by xr4racer View Post
    Patrick Dempsey has secured movie rights for the book, it will be interesting if it ever becomes a movie.

matt
    Universal picked it up with Dempsey as the lead. Currently it is being written into a screenplay

I'm not a follower of celebrities as I really don't "know" them, so it's hard to judge and become an admirer...(although after working with Newman, and knowing his rep, he shot to the top of my most admired celebrity list)...but, this Dempsey guy seems to have a very great angle on things, and, it even appears that he's got some integrity. I think he's going about his racing 'career' in a great way. So, I hope he does well with this story and role.....I'm glad to see he got the rights, as opposed to nearly anyone else.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

I'm not a follower of celebrities as I really don't "know" them, so it's hard to judge and become an admirer...(although after working with Newman, and knowing his rep, he shot to the top of my most admired celebrity list)...but, this Dempsey guy seems to have a very great angle on things, and, it even appears that he's got some integrity. I think he's going about his racing 'career' in a great way. So, I hope he does well with this story and role.....I'm glad to see he got the rights, as opposed to nearly anyone else.

Jake, there's a part in it for a friend of the lead character......go for it !!
    philstireservice.com 845-647-7407
    Hoosier/Toyo/Michelin/BFG Amsoil dealer
    Enkei Race Wheels
    Jongbloed SM Wheels
    Apex Race Wheels
    D-Force Wheels
    Race Tire Track Support NASA SCCA

Well here's something you'll like even more. Once NASCAR heard of the motorsports side of the story they came knocking. Dempsey's response was. Read the title. If it was going to be about NASCAR and rain, the author would have titled it "Standing around the paddock in the rain" and put his foot down killing that possible tangent.

I actually just finished reading this book and I LOVED it!
    A book that actually cought my attention by the title ofcourse...
    but I didnt know what the dog on the cover had to do with it.
    I was hesitant but since it had "Racing" in the title, I bought it.

And for anyone that has not read it, PLEASE DO!!!
    The book has a bit of everything....it will make you laugh, make you mad, and even make you teary eyed...

The quotes from that book I will never forget....

Great book, Great story
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    Well here's something you'll like even more. Once NASCAR heard of the motorsports side of the story they came knocking. Dempsey's response was. Read the title. If it was going to be about NASCAR and rain, the author would have titled it "Standing around the paddock in the rain" and put his foot down killing that possible tangent.
    Nice.

I had a pretty rough time reading it too... all the more relevant since mydog's missing a corner and counting her last race weekends on her remaining paws... but we're making darn sure they're good ones!
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Quote Originally Posted by 924Guy View Post
    Nice.

I had a pretty rough time reading it too... all the more relevant since mydog's missing a corner and counting her last race weekends on her remaining paws... but we're making darn sure they're good ones!
    I just got teary eyed... enjoy all the time you have!

Stephen

I have to give my wife credit... I am Still reading