Thread: Michelin Pilot Sport Cups?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Durability of Kumho V710

....The downside to the V710 (that I've heard) is that its performance starts to fall off dramatically after a single weekend's use.

Can anybody tell me how drastic is this dropoff in performance and how many weekends one can expect to get out of V710s until they are corded (or aged out)?

Really interested in buying this tire...Just don't know much about its durability...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    ....The downside to the V710 (that I've heard) is that its performance starts to fall off dramatically after a single weekend's use.

Can anybody tell me how drastic is this dropoff in performance and how many weekends one can expect to get out of V710s until they are corded (or aged out)?

Really interested in buying this tire...Just don't know much about its durability...
    They may lose 1% after the first weekend, but they stay consistently quick down to the cords. At the cords, they are probably as good as the Nittos with tread. The V710s can overheat, but they recover after 1/2 lap.
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by europeanspec View Post
    They may lose 1% after the first weekend, but they stay consistently quick down to the cords. At the cords, they are probably as good as the Nittos with tread. The V710s can overheat, but they recover after 1/2 lap.
    So, once they reach the cords that's when they fall to the Nitto's level of performance?
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

So, once they reach the cords that's when they fall to the Nitto's level of performance?
    Well, just before the cords. They are better than the Nittos all the way through. The V710's also have more reserve on tap. They release more like a bias-ply than the Nittos.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

Quote Originally Posted by europeanspec View Post
    Well, just before the cords. They are better than the Nittos all the way through. The V710's also have more reserve on tap. They release more like a bias-ply than the Nittos.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be buying new tires soon and am debating between the V710s and the BFG R1s. I think either tire would make an excellent choice.
    The only other tire I might consider is the Hoosier A6. But I've heard it is a tricky tire to master and I'm not the patient type. It's "Go Dogs Go" for me or I'm off into the gravel trap or up against a tire wall...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Thanks for the info. I'll be buying new tires soon and am debating between the V710s and the BFG R1s. I think either tire would make an excellent choice.
    The only other tire I might consider is the Hoosier A6. But I've heard it is a tricky tire to master and I'm not the patient type. It's "Go Dogs Go" for me or I'm off into the gravel trap or up against a tire wall...
    The BFG and the V710 are a wash. The Hos are tricky to get right, from what I've heard.

Try the V710s. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The reason I asked about the Michelins: Tirerack.com is selling them for $125 for 15"s.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

$125 each for 225/50 15 is a very friendly price. Not so good for me when you factor in shipping and duty and all that, but still tempting. Wrong size, too, so I'd have to spend a bunch of money to buy wheels to fit wrong sized tires to save some money.......Sounds about right, doesn't it?

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.