Thread: Michelin Pilot Sport Cups?

Default Michelin Pilot Sport Cups?

Has anyone run the Michelins, and if so, how are they compared to Nitto Nt-01s or V710s?
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com

I have a racing friend who used to run Michelins on his Mustang GT track car and he HATED them. Raved about every other brand he tried, though. He now runs Toyo R888s and praises them to no end.

I run the Nitto NT-01 and very many racers and track day drivers have compared it rather evenly with the Toyo R888. In fact, Toyo makes the NT-01. Both have similar performance and handling characteristics, are inexpensive, and are probably the best value out there in DOT race tires.

I have never used the V710, but just about everyone agrees that it is one of the fastest DOT tires. I have seen a couple magazine comparos that say the V710 is sometimes faster than the usual class of the field, which currently happens to be the Hoosier A6/R6. The downside to the V710 (that I've heard) is that its performance starts to fall off dramatically after a single weekend's use.

Also, in 7 years of racing/track day activities I've only seen Michelins on maybe three cars, tops. The tire is very expensive for a DOT race tire, and for whatever reason is not popular, at least in this part of the country.

Hope this helps...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

I ran 'em... took too long to warm up, for one...
    Vaughan Scott
    Detroit Region #280052
    '79 924 #77 ITB
    #65 Hidari Firefly P2
    www.vaughanscott.com

Thanks for the replies.

The NT-01 and the R888 are the same carcass and compound, just with different tread patterns. They are pretty good and fairly consistent.

The V710 is faster and easier to drive. They are worth 1-2 seconds on 1:21-1:23 over the Nittos at my home track.

I have run on Grand Am Micheline takeoffs a couple years back and they were quite good, but the Pilot Sport Cup is a different tire.

If anyone else has some insight, please fire away.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

Default Durability of Kumho V710

....The downside to the V710 (that I've heard) is that its performance starts to fall off dramatically after a single weekend's use.

Can anybody tell me how drastic is this dropoff in performance and how many weekends one can expect to get out of V710s until they are corded (or aged out)?

Really interested in buying this tire...Just don't know much about its durability...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by RedMisted View Post
    ....The downside to the V710 (that I've heard) is that its performance starts to fall off dramatically after a single weekend's use.

Can anybody tell me how drastic is this dropoff in performance and how many weekends one can expect to get out of V710s until they are corded (or aged out)?

Really interested in buying this tire...Just don't know much about its durability...
    They may lose 1% after the first weekend, but they stay consistently quick down to the cords. At the cords, they are probably as good as the Nittos with tread. The V710s can overheat, but they recover after 1/2 lap.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

Quote Originally Posted by europeanspec View Post
    They may lose 1% after the first weekend, but they stay consistently quick down to the cords. At the cords, they are probably as good as the Nittos with tread. The V710s can overheat, but they recover after 1/2 lap.
    So, once they reach the cords that's when they fall to the Nitto's level of performance?
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

So, once they reach the cords that's when they fall to the Nitto's level of performance?
    Well, just before the cords. They are better than the Nittos all the way through. The V710's also have more reserve on tap. They release more like a bias-ply than the Nittos.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

Quote Originally Posted by europeanspec View Post
    Well, just before the cords. They are better than the Nittos all the way through. The V710's also have more reserve on tap. They release more like a bias-ply than the Nittos.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be buying new tires soon and am debating between the V710s and the BFG R1s. I think either tire would make an excellent choice.
    The only other tire I might consider is the Hoosier A6. But I've heard it is a tricky tire to master and I'm not the patient type. It's "Go Dogs Go" for me or I'm off into the gravel trap or up against a tire wall...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang

Thanks for the info. I'll be buying new tires soon and am debating between the V710s and the BFG R1s. I think either tire would make an excellent choice.
    The only other tire I might consider is the Hoosier A6. But I've heard it is a tricky tire to master and I'm not the patient type. It's "Go Dogs Go" for me or I'm off into the gravel trap or up against a tire wall...
    The BFG and the V710 are a wash. The Hos are tricky to get right, from what I've heard.

Try the V710s. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The reason I asked about the Michelins: Tirerack.com is selling them for $125 for 15"s.
    Andrew Smith
    www.fastguys.com

$125 each for 225/50 15 is a very friendly price. Not so good for me when you factor in shipping and duty and all that, but still tempting. Wrong size, too, so I'd have to spend a bunch of money to buy wheels to fit wrong sized tires to save some money.......Sounds about right, doesn't it?

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

I tried to order us some of these Andy,
    But TR wanted 85 for shipping, and I had to pay taxes and disposal fees.
    Turned out to be cheaper to run the NT01s.

Anyone have a cheap hook up on the V710. I need to get a set for first of Sept.
    Thanks,
    Carver

Car Prep, Rentals and full builds.
    Details at http://www.ChrisCarverMotorSports.com

Saw a set of Pilot sport tires on an ACR Viper today. Not impressed with the tire. It seems to be more geared to the weekend, spirited, dry weather, driving versus the track.

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS

Quote Originally Posted by Duc View Post
    Saw a set of Pilot sport tires on an ACR Viper today. Not impressed with the tire. It seems to be more geared to the weekend, spirited, dry weather, driving versus the track.

D
    Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport Cup? They are 3 different tires. The Sport and Sport PS2 are certainly "spirited dry weather" tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
    Pilot Sport, Pilot Sport PS2 or Pilot Sport Cup? They are 3 different tires. The Sport and Sport PS2 are certainly "spirited dry weather" tires.
    Pilot Sport Cup, it is part of the package for the ACR.

D
    Derek
    #76 ITR Toyota Celica GTS