Thread: The Lamest Day

Default The Lamest Day

Anyone doing it?
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
    I'm going to watch, sounds like a hoot. If anyone is building a car and could use a cage that was cut out of an 1st Gen Rx7 (roof removed and cut at the base) it's theirs for the asking. I might want Hillbilly Motorsports decalled/spray painted/Sharpied on the right rear quarter panel for being a sponsor
    Hillbilly Motorsports
    Just 'Cuz were willing to try it,
    doesn't mean we know what we're doing!

My dad just did the Stafford CT version of this race. Stafford being a 1/2 mile (or so) oval w/ a small road course included the speeds were pretty low, first gear was a requirement at places when traffic bunched up. But it looked like a lot of fun.

I just read the sup's for the Nelson verions. YIKES! That place is scary enough & tore up plenty of SCCA cars when I ran the Longest day races. Looking at the type of cars for Lemons and thinking about them running at Nelson gives me a shiver.

Am I being a wuss for thinking that the combination of that track and those cars/drivers is a bit scary?

Ah, the Hillbilly Motorsports cut our teeth in racing @ Nelson with $500 cars at fun days. Think 15 year old cavalier with bald tires, original clutch, original shocks and 180K on the odometer. Looked like she was going to roll in every corner!
    Hillbilly Motorsports

I'll be there!

Team Toyota will be fielding two cars, a FX16 and a MR2. We've done 3 events so far, and its a good time (though we had a couple mechanicals)....

Quote Originally Posted by MMiskoe View Post
    My dad just did the Stafford CT version of this race. Stafford being a 1/2 mile (or so) oval w/ a small road course included the speeds were pretty low, first gear was a requirement at places when traffic bunched up. But it looked like a lot of fun.

I just read the sup's for the Nelson verions. YIKES! That place is scary enough & tore up plenty of SCCA cars when I ran the Longest day races. Looking at the type of cars for Lemons and thinking about them running at Nelson gives me a shiver.

Am I being a wuss for thinking that the combination of that track and those cars/drivers is a bit scary?
    My experience so far is that Lemons people - even brand new to racing - are no worse that the usual IT crowd. Most of them are more polite in fact. Best racing I've had in 17 years was 1.5 hours of nose-to-tail swapping places with our Celica, a supercharged MR2 and an Integra at CMP this year.... I went into it thinking it was a joke, but its real racing without so many petty rules. The vast differences in cars, speed and race prep is much less important than you might think!

We just hosted a LeMons event in Louisiana and I have to say it was a blast. Not only did we try to kill ourselves with alcohol every night, but the racing was unbelievable. There is something to be said for passing ten cars at one time while running just under 100mph on street-tires. If you need a confidence booster, go run one of these races.
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Nutter View Post
    Ah, the Hillbilly Motorsports cut our teeth in racing @ Nelson with $500 cars at fun days. Think 15 year old cavalier with bald tires, original clutch, original shocks and 180K on the odometer. Looked like she was going to roll in every corner!
    as much body roll as my civic last year?? LOL. you remember that!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Nutter View Post
    Anyone doing it?
    http://www.24hoursoflemons.com/
    I'm going to watch, sounds like a hoot. If anyone is building a car and could use a cage that was cut out of an 1st Gen Rx7 (roof removed and cut at the base) it's theirs for the asking. I might want Hillbilly Motorsports decalled/spray painted/Sharpied on the right rear quarter panel for being a sponsor

Scott - I was thinking about doing it, but then thought it would be more of a hoot to watch! So im watching it this year.
    And ill be 21....SO ill bring the beer!! HAHA!
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

Greg: Do you know any of the SCCA Starters that work at Nelson? When I was at the driver's school in April, I was asked if I wanted to work that event, but they all left before I could get any contact information. Thanks.
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

Talk to people in the know this weekend and as of now there are 170+ intent to run entries!!!!
    Hillbilly Motorsports