Thread: Toyo RA-1 coming back in 2010

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

***the R888 is a faster tire if you know how to set it up, but ohh well.***

Dude, I'm all ears. We have completed 6 nationals using 4 sets of R888's with considerable testing. To what we think is correct, what Toyo thinks is correct, to what others think is correct & the friken tires do no equal the RA1's............................... The work very well on cars heaver than the Spec Miata.

Lay it on me, because we are heading to Road America tomorow for more testing & a National race.

EDIT: This is a front of the pack car.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

I have no info for the SM community explicitly.. I have heard of all sorts of the possible solutions..

The Toyo rep said less camber, and caster than the RA-1 will get you in the right direction.

I spoke extensively with a Tri-point and Realtime engineer and they seemed to agree with the Rep's statement. Both engineers weren't too excited about the tire either. both cars are quite a bit heavier than an SM. They also swapped out tires after each session on track.

A broad comparison between a Touring car and a SM. The Touring cars are heavier, and have more power thusly you can assume that they load the tire to a much greater extent than an SM. I think we can agree on that..

So how do we load the tire more... I have some ideas.. you would have to have quite a bit of data.. I have heard people running cold pressures as almost as high as their hot pressures and seeing significant gains, while others tired it and shown negative effects. Others played with tire temps across the tire. Some believe that it should be a bit with a slight emphasis on the inside, however to much (campber) causes the tire to just overheat and start a horrible wear situation.

Like I said.. everyone is looking for the golden ticket. What I do know is that records have been set with the tires, HOWEVER it may be more of a sign of the total package than the tires themselves.
    Track Speed Motorsports
    http://www.trackspeedmotorsports.com/

Steven Ulbrik (engineer/crew/driver)
    [email protected]

There is nothing faster than the Hoosier.

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    There is nothing faster than the Hoosier.
    "Bad news" is. Nothing travels faster than bad news.