Thread: Ground Control Sleeves

Default Ground Control Sleeves

Looking at updating my ACR to GC Sleeves and ERS Spirngs. Just wondering what everyone's experience is with the GC stuff. Had them on a street/autocross car for about 50K in Pittsburgh, PA year round. Never used in a w2w application. I have heard that they a great and that they suck, Just looking for more advice/experience.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST
    Currently borrowing tow vehicles!!

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I figure they are ok. The Neon problem is the spring height when using 6 inch length springs. I had Koni revalve my 4 struts and remove the stock spring perches, and add a new stop an inch and a quarter down the tubes, otherwise you are right at the bottom of the adjustment and still at around stock ride height. I don't think a Neon allows much reduction in front ride height anyway, what with the shortest struts in the universe. I was able to get the rear down to a reasonable height with the moved stops.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    I figure they are ok. The Neon problem is the spring height when using 6 inch length springs. I had Koni revalve my 4 struts and remove the stock spring perches, and add a new stop an inch and a quarter down the tubes, otherwise you are right at the bottom of the adjustment and still at around stock ride height. I don't think a Neon allows much reduction in front ride height anyway, what with the shortest struts in the universe. I was able to get the rear down to a reasonable height with the moved stops.
    Why wouldn't you just use the 5" spring length.
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

Unless I'm missing a suppier somewhere, there seems to be a very limited number of 5" springs available. 6" I can find in every imaginable rate. Moving the seats down was a fairly small percentage of the bill for the revalving anyway.

WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam

Quote Originally Posted by Streetwise guy View Post
    Unless I'm missing a suppier somewhere, there seems to be a very limited number of 5" springs available. 6" I can find in every imaginable rate. Moving the seats down was a fairly small percentage of the bill for the revalving anyway.
    5" only are available in 2.25" I believe that the sleeves use 2.5" so that would be the answer. I got a quote from Truechoice to do everything except the fronts revalve because they have already been done this past winter. For $1150 USD. How much lower do they mount the sleeves?
    1987 ITS RX-7
    2014 Ford Focus ST

Central Carolina Region

STEELERS SIX PACK!!

I moved them down 1 1/4 inches, and if I were to do it again, I would go down another 3/4". The rear is ok, but the front is still right at the bottom of the adjuster. I run 600F 700R, with ST bars, but I have the front one set with about 1/4 inch of slack in the bushings to get it to turn in. I want to try dropping my front spring rate, partly to get it to turn, and partly because of a rough section on my home track.

The limit to moving the spring seat down is the diameter of tires you run. With the slotted spindle bolts, I scuff the paint on the strut on the front to get enough camber for the 888's I run. I also have the GC camber plates. No complaints, but I dunno what anybody else has.

WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam