Thread: New to IT, Questions on Suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default New to IT, Questions on Suspension

Hello, everyone,
    I am building a '97 318is for ITA. Is there a rear camber arm that is IT legal? Is the reinforced Motorsport arm legal, or does it have to be the stock arm? How are you e36 guys getting enough camber out of the rear?

Also, does anyone know of good performance software for the four-banger? I know that hardly anyone runs it, but if you have some good info, I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,
    Andrew Smith

subscribing.

Andy,
    Do some searches and I think you'll find alot of the info you're looking for. I found this searching BMW 318i:
    https://improvedtouring.com...highlight=318i

See you at the track Sunday,
    Troy
    Troy Marcella
    1985 Spec RX-7

I come all the way to a new forum and I get the same jerks answering my stupid questions. What is this, the internet?

That thread finished with the same conclusion I keep hearing: it will not be competitive. Regardless, I'll build it anyway and run it in NASA as well.

It looks like I won't be making it out on Sunday. The wife won't be working, which means I will.
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com

Um. Hoping you guys know each other and that is tongue in cheek...

If you must have information RIGHT now. The search will be your best friend.

Let me preface my answers with the fact that I am not a BMW guru by any stretch.
    You have to use the stock arm.
    You can use eccentric bushings, if that helps in this situation.
    The best answer for software on any computer controlled motor is going to be a custom tune, whether via custom burned chip, or stand alone programmable engine management computer.
    My experience with the M42 powered E30 318is is that the motors don't leave a ton on the table from BMW. Swapping in a BMP intake netted 5% (~5hp) on a Dynapac dyno - it also improved the torque 'valley' at 3000rpm. Adding a Racing Dynamics chip netted a 12% gain over baseline (w/chip and intake). Adding a Supersprint exhaust to the mix only provided an additional 2%, so 14% gained from stock on a 6 figure mileage stock motor.

So my take is that bolt ons have limited effectiveness, and to build a really competitive one you would likely need to do a full build motor - .040 over, balanced, + .5 compression, blueprinted, custom tuning, custom intake/exhaust lengths.

Hope this helps.
    Chris Schaafsma
    Golf 2 HProd

AMT Racing Engines - DIYAutoTune.com

Quote Originally Posted by shwah View Post
    Um. Hoping you guys know each other and that is tongue in cheek...

If you must have information RIGHT now. The search will be your best friend.

Let me preface my answers with the fact that I am not a BMW guru by any stretch.
    You have to use the stock arm.
    You can use eccentric bushings, if that helps in this situation.
    The best answer for software on any computer controlled motor is going to be a custom tune, whether via custom burned chip, or stand alone programmable engine management computer.
    My experience with the M42 powered E30 318is is that the motors don't leave a ton on the table from BMW. Swapping in a BMP intake netted 5% (~5hp) on a Dynapac dyno - it also improved the torque 'valley' at 3000rpm. Adding a Racing Dynamics chip netted a 12% gain over baseline (w/chip and intake). Adding a Supersprint exhaust to the mix only provided an additional 2%, so 14% gained from stock on a 6 figure mileage stock motor.

So my take is that bolt ons have limited effectiveness, and to build a really competitive one you would likely need to do a full build motor - .040 over, balanced, + .5 compression, blueprinted, custom tuning, custom intake/exhaust lengths.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, it does. I don't see a 14% increase as that bad. It may not gain as much as some of the other platforms, but is seems acceptable. I will probably run different engine management and tweak it to the grenade point. I have plenty of spare motors.

Oh, and I do know Troy, though he may not claim the same in public.

Was that intake the multi-throttle, because that wouldn't be legal?
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com