Thread: New to IT, Questions on Suspension

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Victor Manning races one of these in the SEDiv. Good guy, see if you can contact him through Evan Darling.

Also, a request was made to reprocess this cars weight (and lower it) and it seemed to me (not speaking for the ITAC here, just me) have merit. It will be voted on soon.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

A new weight won't help if it already can't get to the weight it's at. A new weight would help the Z3 though... But the only way weight will drop is if it's shown that the standard gain is optimistic in this case, and it's been repeatably demonstrated that this can never be shown sufficiently enough. I think the M-44 and the Toyota 4AGE share some of the same basic problems and will forever be a tweener motors, IMHO. I wish that wasn't the case, because in the scheme of things they're both good motors connected some great chassis'. So, if you really want to build an e-36 318i into an ITA car, I say: Go forth, and let it be so! Because you will only be satisfied racing the car you want to race.
    STU BMW Z3 2.5liter

my understanding from my discussions with the one ITA 318is driver I know is that the car can make a lower weight.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% so, that the 318is was never processed while the 1.9 Z.3 was. The 318is's listed weight in the GCR seems off by quite a bit to me compared to what its process weight should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Z3_GoCar View Post
    A new weight won't help if it already can't get to the weight it's at. A new weight would help the Z3 though... But the only way weight will drop is if it's shown that the standard gain is optimistic in this case, and it's been repeatably demonstrated that this can never be shown sufficiently enough. I think the M-44 and the Toyota 4AGE share some of the same basic problems and will forever be a tweener motors, IMHO. I wish that wasn't the case, because in the scheme of things they're both good motors connected some great chassis'. So, if you really want to build an e-36 318i into an ITA car, I say: Go forth, and let it be so! Because you will only be satisfied racing the car you want to race.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYoung View Post
    my understanding from my discussions with the one ITA 318is driver I know is that the car can make a lower weight.

I'm pretty sure, but not 100% so, that the 318is was never processed while the 1.9 Z.3 was. The 318is's listed weight in the GCR seems off by quite a bit to me compared to what its process weight should be.
    Process weight? To what are you referring?

The GCR lists the e36 318is as 2600lbs. Is that with or without driver? Also, it calls for solid rotors, front and rear, though the 1997 fronts were vented. Do I need to retrofit?

Thanks again for all the responses.
    Andrew Smith
    2008/2009 GBRS GTU Champion
    www.fastguys.com
    www.chriscarvermotorsports.com

Quote Originally Posted by europeanspec View Post
    Process weight? To what are you referring?

The GCR lists the e36 318is as 2600lbs. Is that with or without driver? Also, it calls for solid rotors, front and rear, though the 1997 fronts were vented. Do I need to retrofit?

Thanks again for all the responses.
    Andy, I'm still a newbie, but here's my understanding:

Several years back a process was developed to class IT cars using a mathematical formula along with some subjective evaluations to reestablish a car's minimum weight, which is referred to as the "great realignment". This replaced a very subjective way of establishing min. weights that was previously used. Many cars including the most popular models were run through this process, however the ITAC (improved touring advisory committee) does not have the resources to run every IT eligible car through the process. You have to submit a request to the ITAC along with supporting documentation to have a particular model run through the process.

Most of the people on the ITAC frequent this forum, so I'm sure some of them will also respond to correct anything I may have gotten wrong.
    Troy Marcella
    1985 Spec RX-7