Thread: TEAMDI PROIT Round 4 at Watkins Glen

Default TEAMDI PROIT Round 4 at Watkins Glen

Guys,

This past weekend I was up at the Glen for meeting with World Challenge people and IRL event. The weekend was fantastic, the weather and the show. The Glen really knows how to put on a great event.
    It was years since I raced there and I forgot how beautiful the area truly is. One night I watched TV and a show came on about the history of the Glen and I was blown away by the fact that in 1950 they were pulling 125,000 people to see racing in the streets. I ran into a friend Jon McKnight who works at the International Motor Racing Research Center in downtown and he suggested that we have a party/open house at the center. We could learn about the history of the track and get a great appreciation of how lucky we are to race there.
    It would take a donation to the center plus food costs and this could run about $1000 or so. Any ideas? We can talk to some wineries about a wine/cheese party, etc..... Can someone pick up the tab? The place/setting is beautiful and I am sure our group would really enjoy ourselves. This would be Friday night.
    We need to decide asap so that I can make arrangements. Please let me know your thoughts. We really do not get many opportunities like this and I am sure you will enjoy to learn about our racing heritage. Again I was blown away by what I learned that night so I bought the dvd and book about the history on the Glen.

Glen region will be putting on a great party on Saturday night FYI ......

Thanks in advance for your comments,
    Bob Zecca

Make sure you start the party off with a slow tour of the old street circuit! You can still drive most if not all the original roads. It's a trip!!!!!!!
    Bill Stevens - Mbr # 103106
    BnS Racing www.bnsracing.net
    92 ITA Saturn
    83 ITB Shelby Dodge Charger
    Sponsors - Race-Keeper Data/Video Aquisition Systems www.race-keeper.com
    Simpson Performance Products - simpsonraceproducts.com

That is a great idea. Guys go to: www.racingarchives.org to learn more about this incredible facility. You will not believe the people affilitated with this place including Sir Jackie Stewart.....did I mention Pamela Anderson? I heard she may come if we show up.

Very cool idea! The Glen has always been my favorite track, the circuit itself, location, and history really make it an experience every time i go. I hike the glen every time i go but have yet to drive around the original street track. This is a great idea. Count me in.

I'm there too - great idea - never saw the original street circuit.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Quote Originally Posted by rsx858 View Post
    ...but have yet to drive around the original street track.
    And, while you're at it, see if you can find evidence of the original track layout, prior to the addition of the boot, the T10/11 complex, and the current T1. It's there if you know where to look. Hint: ever wonder why the garages are laid out diagonal to all the roads...?

GUYS, WE NEED MONEY TO DO THIS. IT IS A GREAT IDEA BUT ANY IDEAS ON HOW TO PAY FOR IT. Do we charge by the head, any dontations? Please let me know.

I'm spending about $1000 on the weekend already - no fundage to contribute :-(
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion

Yea, I'd be happy to pay by the head, but I'm out of thousand dollar bills as a donation.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

We could make it a BYOB just like the Seneca boat cruise last year to keep cost down
    Rob Thiele - BMW 328is ITR
    www.motorsportcollection.com

Jake, guess you didn't see where he said it would be Friday night? That probably cuts down the amount of people who would participate - I know it does for me.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing