Thread: July 25-26 WGI NARRC Event

Default July 25-26 WGI NARRC Event

There are no supps availalbe on the NESCCA web site and from the looking at the posted dates now and registration form, it looks like it went from a double regional with ProIT to a single regional event with ProIT.

Perhaps GLN region is still sorting the details out.

(Eager to register for a double regional)
    Demetrius aka Mickey
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

I found this on the registration link, no supps posted yet (But I did check the box that says I read them :cool: )

Looks like it's a Saturday Qualifying followed by 7 lap race that is your qualifying for sundays 12 lap race. with 10 min warmups on Sunday AM. I wonder if the PRO-IT has qualifying on Saturday or sunday?

Schedule Details Registration 7/24: 6P-10P 7/25: 7A-11A 7/26: 7A-9A
    Tech 7/24: 7P-10P 7/25: 8A-10:30A
    Scales Open 7/24: 7P-10P 7/25: 8A-10:30A
    Untimed Practice None
    Qualifying 7/25: 8:30A 15 min by group PM 7 laps qual race
    Lunch Approximately 12-1 both days
    Races 7/26: 8AM 12 laps (ProIT 45 min) after 10 warmups
    Thank You Party After last session

Race Group Details Race Group1 SRF, SPU, LEGENDS
    Race Group2 FF, CF, NCF, FV, F500, FST
    Race Group3 SSM, ITB, ITC, SSB, SSC, T3
    Race Group4 HRG1, HRG2, HRG3, HRG4, HRG5
    Race Group5 ITR, ITS, ITA, IT7
    Race Group6 FA, FB, FC, FM, FS, FSCCA, S2000, VS2, CSR, DSR, CFC
    Race Group7 SM, EP, FP, GTL, GTP, HP
    Race Group8 GT1, GT2, GT3, AS, T1, T2, ITE, SPO, STO, STU

Stephen Blethen

Eureka! Thank you sir!
    '92 Honda Civic Si

For garages, I assume for the $80 it is shared with someone else? If so, is there a way to reserve the two together or is it first come first serve?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Dave, you only get half a bay. If you email the registrar you may get to select your garage mate.

I was looking at the test schedule for the 24th. Is this correct, you only get two 1/2 hour sessions the entire day for $250.00????!!! Could this be a mistake??

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    I was looking at the test schedule for the 24th. Is this correct, you only get two 1/2 hour sessions the entire day for $250.00????!!! Could this be a mistake??
    Should be 3 sessions. I have tried to work with the region about this last year and it went on deaf ears. WGI says that the region sets the practice order and they love giving SRF their own run group.

When I suggested that LRP usually runs three groups (open, closed big bore and closed small bore) and it works fine. I was told then 'go test their'.

I tried to explain that I was simply trying to maximize everyone's on track time and when you see 5 cars out in a run group on a 3.5 mile course it is very frustrating.

Ok, rant over.
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

^^ I agree and fwiw their respond sucks. Why to cater to your clients (and not client).
    '92 Honda Civic Si

Aren't they an ISC track? (Or whatever the NASCAR 'family' is). If so, I imagine they are like NHMS, which recently stated that they get 90% of their revenue from the NASCAR races. Now, NHMS has two races, but, you get the picture. We're a pimple on their ass, and they'll pop us any way they please, LOL.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

SCDA has 5 hours between next Mon. & Tues.
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

Quote Originally Posted by dj10 View Post
    Dan, The test day belongs to the track not the region. For 250 you get 3 30 minute sessions BUT if someone screws up( makes a mistake in judgement) and it takes 15 minutes to cleanup that shortens the session. Also on occasion if a group is small then it may/might be combined in with another group and that time saving is added to other groups. alot of variables. T Weaver
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee View Post
    Should be 3 sessions. I have tried to work with the region about this last year and it went on deaf ears. WGI says that the region sets the practice order and they love giving SRF their own run group.
    When I suggested that LRP usually runs three groups (open, closed big bore and closed small bore) and it works fine. I was told then 'go test their'.

I tried to explain that I was simply trying to maximize everyone's on track time and when you see 5 cars out in a run group on a 3.5 mile course it is very frustrating.

Ok, rant over.
    HMMMM WGI controls the test Day. They take the Regions race group to set sessions. Low #s group can be combined and time increased for othet groups. TW
    Tom Weaver: Logistics & Technical Support Manager IE truck driver for 1986 RX-7 ITS #63. "Diesel Haulin' Rotary" 2005 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab The Hemi has retired "Long Live the Hemi" Bill Weaver Driver- 2004 NYSRRC John Chave Award. 2006 & 2013 ITS NYSRRC Champion!. Truck Driver Named Glen Region Worker of the Year 2008.Located 45 miles southeast of Watkins Glen in Sayre PA.

Tom,

I went round and round with Ed Zebrowski and Tim Meddaugh about this. I did not save my emails from Ed or WGI. The WGI person is the tall female that takes your money for the test day.

Yes, WGI runs the test day but they do not set the groups - the region does. Again I am sorry I can not quote these.

I know you paddock very close to ED Z and if you wish to talk with him that would be great. Tim Meddaugh said he would never put SRF (I think he called them tanks) with the other open cars.

r/
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Yes, WGI runs the test day but they do not set the groups - the region does. Again I am sorry I can not quote these.

Ummm.....no.

Being a member of the other Region that organizes races at WGI, and experienced both as a racer @ test days and as a Race Chairman for many WGI Nat'l & Reg'l races (including an upcoming one), I feel I can state with some authority that WGI establishes the Test Day Groupings, and the Regions have little to say about it. They may listen to opinions, but it's their "day" and they will construct the groupings as they feel appropriate. Depending on Test Day sign-ups, they will sometimes alter the schedule to reduce the # of groups and increase track time.

SRF can mix nicely with SM...heresy to some...but I've been in both an SRF and an SM on test days and, if drivers aren't ass-clowns, the mix works. SPU (depending on what definition of SPU is used) and Legends can't mix with bigger cars.

And...since the subject came up...mixing SRF with open wheel cars is a stupendously bad idea. Been there, done that. As an IT/SS/SRF/SM etc. owner/driver, I've been part of many messes in my race career...but the biggest on-track mess I've ever been involved in was last year at the Test Day before the Mosport Nat'l, when SRF was mixed with all formula & CSR/DSR. Let's just say I ended up 15' in the air in the middle of the back straight, and the landing wasn't pretty. Don't mix SRF with the lawn darts.

Does anyone know if this race would count as 2 races to complete your novice permit requirements? Or do you need to go to a regional with 2 sanction #'s?

According to the GCR, it's by sanction number. Here's the para.:
    4.4.2. Participation Requirements
    B. Credit for One Race Per Event
    A driver shall receive credit for only one race per race group per sanctioned
    event, regardless of the number of races entered. A Novice driver
    shall receive credit for only one race per sanctioned event, regardless of
    the number of races entered.
    Marilyn

JohnRW,

Then I must of been getting the run-around from Ed Z and WGI. My bad for deleting these emails.

All I tried to do was offer some suggestions for increasing track time. And my 5 years only experience at WGI has never seen a test day modified based on entries.

Again I will offer that the SRF seem to play nice with open wheel at LRP test days. I think the average speed is higher at LRP unless WGI has some other factors with elevation changes that make it hard too see each other.

Thanks for listening and offering your perspective.

r/
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Default WGI vs the Region...

JohnRW,

Then I must of been getting the run-around from Ed Z and WGI. My bad for deleting these emails.

r/
    Mmmmmmm. No run around from here. As has been stated above, the Glen Region-DOES NOT set the groups, DOES NOT collect the money, DOES NOT set the insurance, or even sanction the Test Day. There is no official connection between the SCCA and the WGI Test Day. If WGI utilizes various individuals racing knowledge to set up their test day, it is not done as SCCA. The SCCA Registration is there at the beginning of the Test Day as a courtesy so that Test Day'ers do not have to go back through registration later that day.

On the other subject of Novice Permits and requirements, just go by the number of sanctions.....one sanction = one race.

--Ed...
    Last edited by edzeb; 07-09-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Ed,

Do you recall the conversations we had between each other and the WGI person(I am referring to her as the tall female from WGI)?

What I mean by run-around is I ask you and you say they set the groups and I ask WGI and they say SCCA sets the groups.

Why would Tim Meddaugh say to me that SRF will never run with open wheel in a test day if SCCA has nothing to do with the groupings? Shouldn't that be up to WGI?

Ed, can you suggest any alternative groupings to WGI?
    Steven Frederick
    NER

ITA Miata-24

Like I stated (above), the Test Day is WGI's, not SCCA's. I can't not speak for WGI or Tim Meddaugh. Like most tracks, WGI utilizes people with expertise in many areas. Some of them may also be SCCA members. Tim is a member of FIA, USAC, SCCA, etc. I myself have nothing to do with the operation of the Test Day, and do not attend it in any capacity. If WGI asks racing admins with years of experience, then so be it, but it is not "SCCA". We don't sanction the event.
    Any decisions made regarding the Test Day are not made by the Glen Region or its CRB. --Ed...