Thread: bolt in cage question - welding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question bolt in cage question - welding

Not sure if anybody here can answer this or if it has ever came up before. I was wondering if you could weld together the sleeves. By drilling the sleeves and welding them to the bars I am told it would actually be stronger than bolts. Would it be stronger and would it be legal??

I appreciate any input.

Kinda depends on the joint, access to the joint, prep of the metal etc.

Is it already bolted in the car, or is this a fresh install?
    Scott Rhea
    Izzy's Custom Cages
    It's not what you build... It's how you build it
    Performance Driven LLC
    Neon Racing Springs

Sure you can do it!

It is a new install. We starting to look it over and a welder friend suggested it. I am talking about an Autopower standard bolt-in cage. I am thinking about the front part of the cage. The rear is all drilled and goes together easily.

Traditionally the front roll hoops or the halo bar have all been bent from one piece of tubing with a welded in cage. There's nothing in the GCR that would preclude welding the bolted front hoop connection to the main hoop for a bolt-in cage. I suggest you also put the bolts in the place after you weld it to at least cover up the holes and make the tech inspectors happy.

IMHO, if the cage is bolted into the car at the unitbody/frame then all the joints need to meet the bolt-in roll cage requirements.

There are no holes in front part of the cage right now. What we were thinking was drilling the sleeve and filling the holes. This would be in place of the bolts. The idea was not to drill holes in the front tubes that do the actual support.

I know the way it works some times. Even if were stronger it does not meet the rules it will not be allowed. I would not want to put some tech guy in a position that he had to make a call. I would expect they would side with the GCR as it is written and that would be the right call.

Now I can't find the rules on the bolt in cages. In the 08 GCR it was there but can't find it in the 09.

The only portion of the cage that requires "continuous" tubing is the main hoop. halo, or down tubes. Drill holes in the sleeves only for added weld points and weld the seams. Perfectly legal to weld up a bolt in cage.
    Steve Eckerich
    ITS 18 Speedsource RX7
    ITR RX8 (under construction)