Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: IT 2009 Build Project

Excpet for the ITS E30, all of those cars are popular and are in competetive classes in New England. You can't go wrong with any of them.

But, there are so many good cars out there for sale............

Welcome to NE IT!! Where do you live??

Quote Originally Posted by lateapex911 View Post
    old double hung window weights?.
    he he he he
    Jeff L

ITA Miata

2010 NARRC Champion

2007 NERRC Championship, 2nd place
    2008 NARRC Championship, 2nd place
    2009 NARRC Championship, 2nd place

I have to agree with Gran...find AJ Neeley and buy that car. In the right hands, it has proven to be one of the top 3 cars in the country (the other two also being CRX's).

Build and it will be 'fun' but it will cost you. ITR, ITS, ITA and ITB are all well subscribed up here (10-20 cars each class per race).
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region 188967

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bettencourt View Post
    I have to agree with Gran...find AJ Neeley and buy that car. In the right hands, it has proven to be one of the top 3 cars in the country (the other two also being CRX's).

Build and it will be 'fun' but it will cost you. ITR, ITS, ITA and ITB are all well subscribed up here (10-20 cars each class per race).
    AJ's car is pretty much maxed out with no excuses left. To put it in perspective, I spent more building my ITB Civic than what he is asking for the total package. And that is doing all the labor myself.

Go with the Miata for ITA, you can be a REALLY average, REALLY non-talent driver and win all the races in your region.

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jones View Post
    Go with the Miata for ITA, you can be a REALLY average, REALLY non-talent driver and win all the races in your region.
    You are in for it! HA!
    Andy Bettencourt

Wow, thanks for all the responses guys! Some great leads in here. Look forward to connecting with Flatout, and wouldn't mind taking a look at Neely's CRX. Anyone have a link? Can you build a CRX to competitive ITR or EP?

I do plan to look at the region to see which classes are well attended, thought I'd start with a simple ole web question, great info. Sounds like several IT classes have good fields.

I'm not in the area yet, but you guys that are NE I look forward to meeting at some point. On one of my househunting trips I'm going to try and schedule around a track weekend and come wonder around.

Will do a bit more reading on the IT regs and some local results for NE, and will circle back.

and yes, we did do the nose.....

What, did you not like the link I provided in my post?
    Dave Gran
    Real Roads, Real Car Guys – Real World Road Tests
    Go Ahead - Take the Wheel's Free Guide to Racing

You are in for it! HA!

I know I know.....but you were threatening to race a certain ITS car earlier this year so I must talk a little trash so your head doesn't continue to swell.....

Oops, thanks Dave! BTW, I bought your book and gave it to my brother. Great work!

Quick update - my job situation/relo is still in progress and I'm still researching my car situation for next year. Relo-wise paying attention to the mid-Mass areas west of Boston or possibly RI. Searches tend to start around good schools for my kids.

Looking at results sheets the most active groups in NE seem to be ITA and ITS so focusing there for now. Would eventually like to race nationally, wondering if/when IT might be a recognized national class? If not, looking at options where I could run EP in the future.

Quick question - in ITS a 2nd gen RX-7 is 2680#, but a 84-85 can weigh only 2350# and if it's a GSL-SE you get a 13B, FI, 4 wheel disks and an LSD. This seems like a good package for a 330# weight break. Even though giving up the independent suspension for live axle, is the first gen competitive? What are the weak points rotary guys? Changing from FI or stock carb to a Weber is illegal in all of IT, correct?

I believe the 13b in the first gen makes less power than the second gen due to the intake system. we do not see any around here although there was a very competitive one at the IT fest in Ohio.
    Your new location is good New Hampshire and Lime Rock about a 2 hour tow each. Pocono, Watkins Glen and New Jersey between 4 and 6 hours. When Palmer gets up in 2011 you will be an hour away. You are also in Flat Outs back yard.
    dick patullo
    ner scca IT7 Rx7

GSL-SE: 135hp
    S4: 146hp
    S5: 160hp

ITS can go to EP with further develpment. Used ITS cars are pretty good buys. The EX-Bubar / Flatout car that was recently sold was on the podium at WGI all weekend.
    Andy Bettencourt

Thank you gents, makes sense. I talked with a buddy who is a long time rotary guy said the FI on the first gens was inferior to the S4. I would so rather run carb rotary for the simplicity, maybe an ITA first gen but they're getting spanked up there by Miatas (same as here). I looked at the SCCA WGI results, very good. Congrats on the record Mr. Gran. I'll be back in touch guys, thanks again for your guidance. Reading some of the forums y'all are having a blast and have huge fields. Looking forward to meeting you.

Cool

First gen RX7s are still popular and run in theyr own class. Can be had for short money and we usually bring enough stuff to re-build an entire car between us all. And when yours is to mangled to fix everyone scabs the parts they need,Dave... :cool:
    What did you run with NASA that cant run here? Is it cool?
    Dan

BMW E30. Deciding whether it would be worth the expense to ship it and all my spares or just cash out and start over after the move. I'd like to run in a faster group and I run the E30 against SMs all the time and am competitive there, so figure I'd get trounced in ITS with E30 unless I did some upgrading, but that's more money. To ship and upgrade suspension I'd probably be another $3500ish into this platform. The CRX would be cool and plenty of guys to run with in ITA, but Nealey's is bigger budget and FWD, plus running ITA in a group with ITR and ITS it might be nice to not be the slowest group in the session for a change. If it's still around at end of season I may take a look. Lastly I like the idea of having strong shop support and looking at my relo I'll be very close to FOM, so that's a factor for me also - those guys have their act together - edge to Miata or 2nd Gen.
    Last edited by spyvsspy303; 07-31-2009 at 02:05 PM.