Thread: Maybe Mopar is right!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I paid $96 canadian for an SKF to go racing this weekend. It looked like an acceptible piece, and survived a very enjoyable and enthusiastic 2 1/2 hours of track time. I figure 10 or so hours, then bin it and put another on. Another couple hun every 4 race weekends is, sadly, a pretty small part of my budget this year.

I phoned my Dodge dealer this AM to tell him to drop the backorder on the MP kits, and order me the hub only. He phoned back and said they won't cancell the backorder, as they are in the pipeline somewhere. I will let you guys know if and when they show up.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.

When the Mopar Hub/Bearing assy went disco we started using the SKF with acceptable results. With any of the hubs, proper torque and adherence to a strict replacement schedule is key.

Last year at Nelson's Longest Day, we ran a set of Mopar hubs 24 hours without re-checking torque with no problem but in that situation there really wasn't much in the way of heat cycling like in more typical sprints.
    Dave Dusterberg
    ITA#9 Dodge Neon
    2011 Indy Region SCCA Activities Director
    http://www.indyscca.org

Hi, im new to the forum and stumbled across this thread. I have a 95 ACR that i run in ITA in the PA hillclimb series. I have heard about the hub problem but never quite understood the severity of the failure. You guys have me freaked out now. When something fails on the hills you usually fly off into the trees because we dont have a nice runoff area like the tracks do.

So, from this thread it appears i only have two options. Get the SKF hub from Napa or the Timken from autoparts123. To me both are respectable brands, it seams hard to beat $67 bucks for the bearing and the hub for the Timken. Does the SKF come with the bearing too?

How often should i replace hubs. It would take 10 years of hillclimbing to accumulate 10 hours. We have about 10-15 runs a weekend and they are only 1-2 minutes long. I do about 10 events a year.

I have stock ACR suspension, poly bushings and run auto X V710s tires, sometimes RA1s when we do track time trials. Only twice a year.

As soon as i get some more money i will be taking some drivers schools and joining yall on the track, but for now its the affordable scary as sh*t world of hillclims for me. THanks for reading.

My MP ACR hubs and bearings showed up yesterday. $105.08 Cdn each on my doorstep. When I priced the hub alone, it was over $200.00.WTF? I do have a tame dealer who sponsors me, but retail on the invoice was $135.

Anyway, I got 4, which should do me for quite a while.

Jim Barnsley, Streetwise Service
    WCMA IT2 Neon Twincam
    2009/2010 Regional and Alberta IT2 Champion
    2009 Regional Overall Champion. Second this year, dammit.