Thread: SCCA Improved Touring 25 year birthday?

Default SCCA Improved Touring 25 year birthday?

Not sure when we need to start planning this or who would be in charge but we should have an event with real BIG exposure! We need an SCCA article, and an article in as many motorsports magazines as possible, maybe even TV exposure like a National Runoffs? We need an event that gets real exposure! I truelly think it is a year for SCCA to use our milestone year as a way to advertise and promote our grassroots racing that is an affordable and fun way to get on track and do REAL "Wheel to Wheel" racing! Next year 2010 is what I believe is our year to celebrate!
    We are turning 25 years old!

Who do we contact? Anyone here have the pull to make this happen? We need to get as many cars out of barns and garages and out on the track for our "25 year aniversary!" A shared expense amoungst all regions so all regions and all IT members benefit! :026:

Now If I am wrong about dates feel free to debate!
    I am pretty sure that SCCA National set a standardized rule set for Improved Touring back in 1985. (Yes the class existed before this but was not listed in the GCR under 1 ruleset across the country)

Stephen Blethen

Stephen

You bring up a good point. I was thinking about the same thing. I ran ITA back when it was a Solo 1 class in 1980. I then built an ITA Capri in 1984, but I'm sure it stated about 1981. I would love to hear what other people have to say.
    John Norris
    #07 ITS/R BMW 325is
    #07 ITS BMW 325
    Sponsors:
    GREEN FLASH BEER
    GT International BMW Service since 1976

1985 was the first time that Improved Touring category rules appeared in the GCR (well, actually, as a sub-book to the GCR, as "back then" all category rules were in separate books - and you had to purchase them all separately...) I'd still love to find a real hardcopy of that first book...willing to pay for it, if you've got it... - GA

http://it2.evaluand.com/gti/downloads/ThisisIT.pdf

That is a VERY good observation, Stephen. I tend to neglect things like anniversaries and birthdays but this is kind of a big deal.

It would be great if there could be a multi-site virtual reunion of sorts. Maybe pick a weekend where there are a bunch of solid regionals all running at the same time and connect them all up through the web. It strikes me as a little unfair to just declare one event at one track a "celebration" of national Regional status.

K

IIRC, my car won ITA at the first IT Fest

Quote Originally Posted by NORRIS View Post
    Stephen

You bring up a good point. I was thinking about the same thing. I ran ITA back when it was a Solo 1 class in 1980. I then built an ITA Capri in 1984, but I'm sure it stated about 1981. I would love to hear what other people have to say.
    Hi all,
    IT is a little older that that. In ’79 I proposed the class to Sand Diego Region’s Board as a regional only class. After making me a board member, then listing to my dribble on the strengths of the class, they bought “IT”.
    The first race was at SDR’s “Holtville Winter Series” of 1980-81. I’ve have to go back to my old records to make sure. . For a year or two we were the only region to have the class. SFRegion took it next. Cal Club’s powers at the time did not like the class. IT reminded them too much of Production Class. Cal Club’s Jerry Barker did not like the class. I’ll never forget him holding my, get this, two page it rule book, and the multi page Prod. rule book. He was forcefully telling me that “in a few years this little class will require a rule book as big as this. Yeah, Jerry you were correct. Finally they accepted the class about 1983 or ‘84. I think the best part was being a supporting race to IMSA 6 hour enduro weekend in 1986. We had 78 cars for a ½ hour race to IMSA 68 cars for their 6hr race.

Steve Coe
    “Mr. IT” as some call me

I'd suggest that any "anniversary" date would be chosen based on the year that IT became a Nationally recognized category.
    Jake Gulick

CarriageHouse Motorsports
    for sale: 2003 Audi A4 Quattro, clean, serviced, dark green, auto, sunroof, tan leather with 75K miles.
    IT-7 #57 RX-7 race car
    Porsche 1973 911E street/fun car
    BMW 2003 M3 cab, sun car.
    GMC Sierra Tow Vehicle
    New England Region
    lateapex911(at)gmail(dot)com

Hi all! Yes Stephan you are right that the 25th anniversary is coming up in 2011. That is according to Pete Hylton ( Official SCCA historian). That coincides with the projected 5th running of the I.T.FEST. I was planning on getting the format together after this years race. Maybe exclusive run groups for each I.T. group. I dunno haven't really given it much thought yet.

Todd
    Last edited by TAC; 07-01-2009 at 06:40 AM.