Thread: A Tricked Out Open Race Trailer

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I had a local welder take a common 18ft open trailer and weld a steel tube box with hinged doors on the front of it. I then took that structure, paneled it, and created the insides.

It is heavy BUT that is also due to the fact that I am carrying every spare for my Z that I own. Those storage boxes have a lot of space and I've got a lot of metal in there - three complete differentials, tranny, lots of drums, four sets of calipers, uprights, springs, etc. and so on. I'd estimate I've got 900 lbs of spares on it. If you need it, I bet I have it.

The AC/DC system also weighs a lot. The three batteries are around 175 lbs, plus another 35 lbs for the inverter and more for the wiring. AC adds another 20-30 lbs. Lots and lots of tools. Two spares ads some weight.

Even so, without all of that it would weigh a bit more than my old 20 ft enclosed. But, it is balanced well and tows great. I kept a spreadsheet and totaled it up and I think it is around the 6500 lbs mark, give or take 300 lbs. The open had to be around 1200 lbs less but it also carried a whole lot less in the way of spares and tires.
    Last edited by Ron Earp; 06-27-2009 at 11:35 AM.