Quote Originally Posted by jennings27 View Post
GCR page 335: (Engines) Hardware items (nuts, bolts, etc.) may be replaced with similar items performing the same fastening function(s).
The same language is repeated on page 336 RE transmission & final drive/differential.
Also, p. 338 says bushing material is unrestricted.

So, does this language constitute authorization for solid motor/trans/diff mounts?
No, you're reading an allowance from the suspension section.

[quote]
Kirk can explain more eloquently than I but the logic is to explain the "cans" and to always remember the basic line which reads, "Other than those specifically allowed by these rules, no component or part normally found on a stock example of a given vehicle may be disabled, altered or removed." In other words, read the rules specifically, and assume noting. The rulebook is a friend who tells you plainly what you can do.
Oh, and it would be a great idea if SCCA came up with a list of "don'ts" for common questions like this so beginners don't have to go asking questions that have already been settled.

Other thing, while reviewing 2009 GCR, it says "Springs of any origin may be used, provided they are of the same number and type as originally fitted, i.e., coil, leaf, torsion bar, and that they shall be installed in the original location using the original system of attachment." Doesn't this mean that coil-overs are banned for the rear suspension, where a modified MacPherson, i.e. non-coil-over, structure is used?
Yes, coilovers are only allowed on cars originally equipped. Common language refers to strut based systems as coilovers. Struts are essentially free, and adjustable sleeves may be fitted.

It took several readings for me to absorb the GCR. I still see ways to do things that the words allow that I missed on the 15th reading because I assumed I knew what the rules intent was. The glossary is important as well.

By all means, building a car is a learning experience. NASA does a system of "points" per modification. To truly ferret out a winning combination, you must ascertain the actual affect of each modification. Is "XX worth 5 points?" Classes are divided by point levels. It's great for cars that are already modified and not to a specific ruleset, but it could be a labrynth to deduce the best compromises if the competition were stout. The joy of the SCCA system is that everyone is on the same playing field.

Finally, two things- first, take a walk thru the paddock at a local race and chat with the owners of cars like yours. you'll find 90% to be friendly and open. Secid, consider buying a built car. It will save you half the expenditure of a ground up build, and many of the answers you're asking are figured out for you. First time racers are nearly always better off buying than building.

What's your name, and where are you from?