Thread: Another Tragedy

I talked to a few guys that are there. The rumor they had heard was he went into turn 8 and lost brakes. They said he had tryed to keep it on track and caught the gravel trap and the car went on the side. There it slid roof first into the tire wall.
    Prayers are out for the faimly.
    James Coyne
    CFR
    1987 VW Golf 16V STL
    coyneracing.com

God rest his soul and may his family and friends somehow be comforted in their trying time...
    Chris
    #91 ITR Mustang
    1st place-2008 Great Lakes Division Championship Series
    1st place-2009 Kryderacing Series

Kenny & I were observing the Production qualifying through the carousel/enter the kink from above. The yellow showed & we observer a wrecker with lights flashing at T 8. We went to the far side to see that the 67 car was tires to the tire wall drivers side down. From on site observations a very sad story unfolded to very heavy hearts.

Tom and I met in 02 at Mid Ohio when Tom was taking the Mid Ohio driver instruction course in preperation for the Runoffs. Tom started his SCCA racing career in his home state of Texas racing a Spec 7. Because I was racing a Spec 7 at the time Tom looked me up at the track, offered some tips on the track and gave me a copy of the drivers course instruction manual which I have to this day.

Tom was super busy doing prep work on Friday but took time for a friendly smile and a few words.

Tom is a true gentleman, always willing and he will be greatly missed.

Thoughts and prayers to his family.
    Have Fun ; )
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv Milwaukee Region
    Spec Miata #14

Tom was a great competitior and was at most of our races in the SW Div. His father also raced SRX-7 which runs in our IT group in SWdiv. We visitied with them on friday during practice. We will miss Tom.

Pete

Rest in Peace, Tom. Your SCCA community will miss you very much. My prayers are with the family during this time.
    Greg Vandersluis
    #4 1990 Honda Civic Si
    #97 2003 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
    #93 2006 Ford Mustang
    Carbotech/BFGoodrich/Vandersluis Motorsports
    2010 Great Lakes Division ITA Champion
    2012 Great Lakes Division T1 Champion

I was at Mid-Ohio this weekend when the word came in from RA. Cornerworkers reported no brake lights before the car left the track. It appeared to be a medical issue that happened before the car left the track and the car did not appear to contact the wall hard.

Drivers and workers alike were saddened at Mid-Ohio when the calls began coming in from fellow competitors and workers at RA.
    Dave Burchfield
    GLDiv ITS #74
    Mazda RX-7(the one Kirk parked on the tire wall at Seattle)
    (or so I am told)